Oxford MedSup Decline for Diabetic, Reason Given - Height/weight

lch

Expert
WA
I have an applicant in TX (zip 76705) age 72 who has been on 25 units of insulin consistently for 4 years (she had adverse reactions to metformin etc when diagnosed 5 yrs ago, so dr put her on insulin, A1C 6.1 last reading), BP and cholesterol well controlled with Rx. No complications of diabetes at all such as neuropathy.

Oxford Life declined her, saying 5'9" and 220 lbs too much for diabetic. She currently has MoO at $196/mo.
Any suggestions for alternative?

CSI (Central States Indemnity) might take her. In the past I've been very cautious about sending them U/W business. They are difficult to work with if everything doesn't go perfectly, but this sounds like a good case for them.

Might also look at equitable

Equitable will rate up for the insulin use to their standard rate. This most likely will not help.

Does CSI publish a height/weight table?
If so does 5'9" 220 lbs fit?
Of course they might also be tight on this for diabetics....

Does CSI publish a height/weight table?
If so does 5'9" 220 lbs fit?
Of course they might also be tight on this for diabetics....

No that's fine with CSI. 50 units is the cut off for insulin, as long as she's been stable.

Oxford likes to do extra underwriting after the fact, and they prefer not disclose their underwriting with agents. That makes them a very difficult company to write clean business for. I don't like playing guessing games when I write apps.

I had a lady yesterday that wondered why she couldn't get an Oxford Med Supp. I told her that when they considered all of her conditions, they said no. She was getting huffy about it. I wanted so badly to tell her the real reason...her fat ass is 7" too short!:twitchy:

Have you looked at Aetna? I don't know what the rates would be where you are, but they go up to 50 units before declining.

Back