Part B Dis-enrollment Question

jeffdcar

Expert
I have a client who is on his wife's group plan(Kaiser). He accidentally enrolled into Part B when he T65. Can he dis-enroll from Part B and re-enroll when he leaves his wife's group plan w/out a penalty? thanks

On a Forum question: How do i "bold" the Title question, i've tried the bold key and i'm clueless

I have a client who is on his wife's group plan(Kaiser). He accidentally enrolled into Part B when he T65. Can he dis-enroll from Part B and re-enroll when he leaves his wife's group plan w/out a penalty? thanks On a Forum question: How do i "bold" the Title question, i've tried the bold key and i'm clueless
Unless recently changed, they do require an in person visit to the SSA office to do this. Your client must be counseled on the consequences of disenrolling in Part B (there are none if dropped for creditable EGHP).

require an in person visit to the SSA office to do this. Your client must be counseled on the consequences of disenrolling in Part B

Tried to find something on mcare.gov or SSA.gov but flamed out. Did find this on a commercial site.

To disenroll from Part B, you’re required to fill out a form (CMS-1763) that you must complete either during a personal interview at a Social Security office or on the phone with a Social Security representative. For an interview, call the Social Security Administration toll-free at 800-772-1213 or call your local office.

Social Security insists on an interview to make sure you know the consequences of dropping out of Part B — for example, that you may have to pay a late penalty if you want to reenroll in the program in the future.

However, the penalty isn’t an issue if you’re leaving Part B to enroll in primary health insurance from an employer. In the event that you lose this coverage in the future, you won’t incur a late penalty as long as you sign up for Part B again within eight months of the job’s or the insurance’s ending (whichever happens first).

How to Disenroll from Medicare Part B - For Dummies

I beleive it depends on if they are leaving the group coverage involuntarly.
I just received a call from a referral that her husband dropped part B, because his VA buddies told him he didn't need it.
Now that he is in the hospital with a few strokes. He will need more care and another hospital stay.
The problem is his wife still works and the VA is over an hour away. His wife is not happy he dropped it.
Can he sign up for part B now or does he have to weight until Jan through March for July 1st effective date?

Back