Part B Late Enrollment Penalty

steveadlman

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have a prospect who is turning 65 next month. He has had Medicare Part A for several years due to disability but now wants to enroll in Part B and get a Supplement because he is displeased with the care he has been getting at the VA. When he called SS to enroll in Part B he was told he would have to wait until he reached age 66 to avoid late enrollment penalty. He was told that at age 66 his disability benefit would automatically be changed to a retirement benefit and that is why he needed to wait to avoid the late enrollment penalty. I thought he could go ahead and enroll in Part B without a penalty because he is turning 65 next month, am I wrong?

I have a prospect who is turning 65 next month. He has had Medicare Part A for several years due to disability but now wants to enroll in Part B and get a Supplement because he is displeased with the care he has been getting at the VA. When he called SS to enroll in Part B he was told he would have to wait until he reached age 66 to avoid late enrollment penalty. He was told that at age 66 his disability benefit would automatically be changed to a retirement benefit and that is why he needed to wait to avoid the late enrollment penalty. I thought he could go ahead and enroll in Part B without a penalty because he is turning 65 next month, am I wrong?
You are not wrong. Now that he is aging into Medicare at 65, any late enrollment penalties he would have been subject to are waived.

Medicare Benefits - How to Apply Online Even if You Are not Ready to Retire

If you already have Medicare Part A and wish to sign up for Medicare Part B, please complete form CMS 40-B, Application for Enrollment in Medicare - Part B (Medical Insurance), and take or mail it to your local Social Security office.

You should sign up for Medicare three months before reaching age 65, even if you plan to delay receiving retirement benefits because you are working. Otherwise, your Medicare medical insurance, as well as prescription drug coverage, could be delayed, and you could be charged higher premiums.

I dont know why some of these people at S.S. and/or CMS don't need to carry E & O .

Some of the thing's I've heard them say to seniors are worse then I ever heard agents say, At least except for banker's agents

I dont know why some of these people at S.S. and/or CMS don't need to carry E & O . Some of the thing's I've heard them say to seniors are worse then I ever heard agents say, At least except for banker's agents

Advice this bad would bring disciplinary action to an agent. It was exactly the opposite of what is correct. Following the rep's advice would have created a penalty that would not have been otherwise assessed.

Back