Part B Penalty for Immigrants?

Franz Kafka

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a couple in late 70s paying around 2k a month for a private health. They've been in US for more than 5 years so are eligible to purchase Medicare A and B. My question is do they have to pay the penalty for part B? If so for how many months (since they entered the country)?

Also they would have to wait for jan 1st to enroll, correct?

I have a couple in late 70s paying around 2k a month for a private health. They've been in US for more than 5 years so are eligible to purchase Medicare A and B. My question is do they have to pay the penalty for part B? If so for how many months (since they entered the country)?

The penalty is 10% per year you are eligible and did not take it. So if they were eligible and did not take it, yes, they would pay the penalty from the time they were eligible to the time they enroll.

Yes, can only enroll between Jan. 1 and March 31. For clarification they should call the Social Secuity office to determine eligibility.

The part B penalty is from the time they were elidgible to buy it to the time they actually did buy it.

Back