Part B Premium Changes

kgmom219

What's Next?
5000 Post Club
Texas
In multiple articles, the "Medicare doc fix" legislation references a change to the Part B premium costs for the top 2%. In a couple of articles, it references $138K (down from $170K) as the bottom number.

Has anyone seen the actual chart? I've spent an hour looking (I'm doing a presentation) and can't find it.

Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you want or not.

High-Income Premium Surcharges
This feature of the new law socks it to the highest-income seniors. Affluent beneficiaries already pay more for Medicare; individuals with modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) starting at $85,000--or $170,000 for joint filers--pay a higher share of the government's full cost of coverage in Medicare Part B and Part D for prescription-drug coverage. This year, for example, seniors with incomes at or below $85,0000 pay $104.90 per month in Part B premiums, but higher-income seniors pay between $146.90 and $335.70 monthly, depending on their income.

The new plan will shift a higher percentage of costs to higher-income seniors starting in 2018 for those with MAGI between $133,500 and $214,000 (twice that for couples). Seniors with incomes of $133,000 to $160,000 would pay 65% of total premium costs, rather than 50% today. Seniors with incomes between $160,000 and $214,000 would pay 80% rather than 65%, as they do today.

Notably, earlier reform proposals to boost high-income surcharges would have effectively lowered the income thresholds, tapping less affluent households.
What the Medicare 'Doc Fix' Means for Your Pocketbook

Kind of. And I really do appreciate it.

Here's my take. What are your thoughts?

Current: Beginning at $85K/$170K, you pay more than the $104 (I'm not going thru the entire chart)

2018: Beginning at $133K/$266L, you pay more than the $104 (in today's dollars)

So here's what I am trying to figure out....what happens to the people between $85K and $133K in 2018? They no longer pay a higher share?

And why is so dang difficult to find? Taxes filed NEXT YEAR are what they are going to pull from for 2018.

It's too late and my brain is fried to figure this out. Just a wag, but you can't find it because it isn't 2018 yet.

Heck, Obamacare was on the books for a couple of years before Nancy P figured out what was in that dang law.

It's too late and my brain is fried to figure this out. Just a wag, but you can't find it because it isn't 2018 yet.

Heck, Obamacare was on the books for a couple of years before Nancy P figured out what was in that dang law.

1. I'm a girl. I have no patience. I want it NOW. (And I really do need it)

2. They had to teach how to read first....

Back