Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage

Here is my question: If a person is say 81 years old and never had anything except Original Medicare and TriCare, is there a penalty for not having Part D coverage? Or is the TriCare considered "credible coverage" for Part D? The individual would benefit from having a Medicare Advantage plan and I don't want to cost her.

Thanks in advance.

Does this person have any drug coverage under Tricare? Also, does this individual get any kind of low income subsidy?

Along with agreeing that with tricare it would be ridiculous to enroll in an MAPD plan, he does has creditable (not credible) coverage.

Perfect case for you to walk away.

Rick

Along with agreeing that with tricare it would be ridiculous to enroll in an MAPD plan, he does has creditable (not credible) coverage.

Perfect case for you to walk away.

Rick
That too. Folks on Tricare generally don't have any needs an MAPD can offer.

TriCare is credible coverage. This is one segment you walk away from. While you can move them to a MAPD, that would not be in their best interest. Once you take them out of TriCare, they cannot go back. It's a one way ticket. Newbies and agents chasing commissions will try to do this. However, as been stated in other responses, walk away. Leave them on TriCare. No other questions to ask, no research, no needs analysis.

Here is my question: If a person is say 81 years old and never had anything except Original Medicare and TriCare, is there a penalty for not having Part D coverage? Or is the TriCare considered "credible coverage" for Part D? The individual would benefit from having a Medicare Advantage plan and I don't want to cost her.

Thanks in advance.

Tricare is one of the best insurances anyone can have. You must be a retired military member that served for 20 or 30 years in the military (I forget the exact timeframe). You may be confusing Tricare with VA benefits. VA benefits are not as rich and the VA uses it's own network of doctors and facilities. People who have the VA will benefit from having a Medicare Advantage MAPD, but only if they use private hospitals or want to get a second opinion from a non VA doctor.

The VA about 4 or 5 years ago was having massive complaints about patient access due to horrible waiting times (America always has some imaginary war to fight with some assumed 'enemy'), but the VA got it's act together fairly recently and most VA facilities no longer have a 2 or 3 month waiting list.

As every other agent here has stated, when they have Tricare you walk away.

Tricare is one of the best insurances anyone can have. You must be a retired military member that served for 20 or 30 years in the military (I forget the exact timeframe). You may be confusing Tricare with VA benefits. VA benefits are not as rich and the VA uses it's own network of doctors and facilities. People who have the VA will benefit from having a Medicare Advantage MAPD, but only if they use private hospitals or want to get a second opinion from a non VA doctor.

The VA about 4 or 5 years ago was having massive complaints about patient access due to horrible waiting times (America always has some imaginary war to fight with some assumed 'enemy'), but the VA got it's act together fairly recently and most VA facilities no longer have a 2 or 3 month waiting list.

As every other agent here has stated, when they have Tricare you walk away.

For supplements yes always but sometimes an MA is a good fit if they want the free gym membership etc. and all the providers are in network.Tricare will coordinate with MA

https://tricare.mil/Plans/OHI

For supplements yes always but sometimes an MA is a good fit if they want the free gym membership etc. and all the providers are in network.Tricare will coordinate with MA

That's what I thought. They can have both. Her problem is that a specific medication she needs is in short supply and the alternative is very costly. So she has no subsidy and only Original Medicare and TriCare. I told her I can't do anything until October but the drug she needs can be ordered through a MAPD and she could get some of the other extra benefits. If she can't have an MAPD and TriCare, can I enroll her in a stand alone prescription drug policy to fix her problem without a penalty? I'm not desperate for the sale, I'm trying to fix a problem. Maybe I wasn't clear on that in my original post.

Back