Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum

Reply to Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage     
Old 08-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

State: lifeismylife76 is an Insurance Agent from Kansas
Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage
Here is my question: If a person is say 81 years old and never had anything except Original Medicare and TriCare, is there a penalty for not having Part D coverage? Or is the TriCare considered "credible coverage" for Part D? The individual would benefit from having a Medicare Advantage plan and I don't want to cost her.

Thanks in advance.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage
Old 08-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #2

State: tribetime32 is an Insurance Agent from
Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage Re: Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage
Does this person have any drug coverage under Tricare? Also, does this individual get any kind of low income subsidy?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
Guru

State: steveadlman is an Insurance Agent from Alabama
Since he has Tricare how can he benefit from a MAPD?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #4
Guru
GreenSky on Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage

State: GreenSky is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
GreenSky is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Along with agreeing that with tricare it would be ridiculous to enroll in an MAPD plan, he does has creditable (not credible) coverage.

Perfect case for you to walk away.

Rick

Now offering Washington National contracts. Great cancer plans!
YIO is now available at http://yourinsuranceoffice.net/.

insure(at)greenskyins(dot)com
Old 08-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #5

State: tribetime32 is an Insurance Agent from
Originally Posted by GreenSky View Post
Along with agreeing that with tricare it would be ridiculous to enroll in an MAPD plan, he does has creditable (not credible) coverage.

Perfect case for you to walk away.

Rick
That too. Folks on Tricare generally don't have any needs an MAPD can offer.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #6

State: roygbiv is an Insurance Agent from
TriCare is credible coverage. This is one segment you walk away from. While you can move them to a MAPD, that would not be in their best interest. Once you take them out of TriCare, they cannot go back. It's a one way ticket. Newbies and agents chasing commissions will try to do this. However, as been stated in other responses, walk away. Leave them on TriCare. No other questions to ask, no research, no needs analysis.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Guru
GreenSky on Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage

State: GreenSky is an Insurance Agent from Nevada
GreenSky is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by roygbiv View Post
TriCare is credible coverage.
Wrong! TriCare is CREDITABLE coverage.

Rick
Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #8
Super Genius

State: Residentzombie is an Insurance Agent from Wisconsin
Originally Posted by lifeismylife76 View Post
Here is my question: If a person is say 81 years old and never had anything except Original Medicare and TriCare, is there a penalty for not having Part D coverage? Or is the TriCare considered "credible coverage" for Part D? The individual would benefit from having a Medicare Advantage plan and I don't want to cost her.

Thanks in advance.
Tricare is one of the best insurances anyone can have. You must be a retired military member that served for 20 or 30 years in the military (I forget the exact timeframe). You may be confusing Tricare with VA benefits. VA benefits are not as rich and the VA uses it's own network of doctors and facilities. People who have the VA will benefit from having a Medicare Advantage MAPD, but only if they use private hospitals or want to get a second opinion from a non VA doctor.

The VA about 4 or 5 years ago was having massive complaints about patient access due to horrible waiting times (America always has some imaginary war to fight with some assumed 'enemy'), but the VA got it's act together fairly recently and most VA facilities no longer have a 2 or 3 month waiting list.

As every other agent here has stated, when they have Tricare you walk away.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
Guru

State: yogooglethis is an Insurance Agent from Florida
yogooglethis is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by Residentzombie View Post
Tricare is one of the best insurances anyone can have. You must be a retired military member that served for 20 or 30 years in the military (I forget the exact timeframe). You may be confusing Tricare with VA benefits. VA benefits are not as rich and the VA uses it's own network of doctors and facilities. People who have the VA will benefit from having a Medicare Advantage MAPD, but only if they use private hospitals or want to get a second opinion from a non VA doctor.

The VA about 4 or 5 years ago was having massive complaints about patient access due to horrible waiting times (America always has some imaginary war to fight with some assumed 'enemy'), but the VA got it's act together fairly recently and most VA facilities no longer have a 2 or 3 month waiting list.

As every other agent here has stated, when they have Tricare you walk away.

For supplements yes always but sometimes an MA is a good fit if they want the free gym membership etc. and all the providers are in network.Tricare will coordinate with MA

https://tricare.mil/Plans/OHI
Old 08-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #10

State: lifeismylife76 is an Insurance Agent from Kansas
Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage Re: Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage lifeismylife76 is the thread starter for: Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage

[quote=yogooglethis;1197391]For supplements yes always but sometimes an MA is a good fit if they want the free gym membership etc. and all the providers are in network.Tricare will coordinate with MA

That's what I thought. They can have both. Her problem is that a specific medication she needs is in short supply and the alternative is very costly. So she has no subsidy and only Original Medicare and TriCare. I told her I can't do anything until October but the drug she needs can be ordered through a MAPD and she could get some of the other extra benefits. If she can't have an MAPD and TriCare, can I enroll her in a stand alone prescription drug policy to fix her problem without a penalty? I'm not desperate for the sale, I'm trying to fix a problem. Maybe I wasn't clear on that in my original post.
Reply to Part D Penalty for Medicare Advantage 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Senior Insurance Forum