Part D Thru Mcare.gov, Not Now

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I have been referring clients to Mcare.gov for quite some time to enroll in Part D. I run a report, email it, then call to discuss then provide them with implicit instructions on how to enroll by calling 1-800-MEDICARE.

Just got a notice from new Medicare client (long time U65 health insurance client).

Mcare effective 10/1. She called this week and Mcare told her to call back after the first of September. If she wanted to enroll now she should call the carrier.

So Mcare can only enroll people in PDP if they apply within 30 days of the effective date?

Never run into this before.

I either write the app(commission), enroll directly through Medicare( no comm), or, have the client call the carrier directly(no comm).
I have never had someone call Medicare.

I either write the app(commission), enroll directly through Medicare( no comm), or, have the client call the carrier directly(no comm).
I have never had someone call Medicare.

Same here. Most of the time if it's non-commission I do it through mcare.gov since I'm likely already in there running the comparison for the person.

Bob, I'm willing to bet your client could call them again and get a different person and get a different answer. For what it's worth, it only takes about 2 minutes to complete it on the mcare.gov site on behalf of the client. It takes DS4 a little longer because he hunts and pecks. He also still uses a rotary phone and doesn't have power steering or electric windows in his car. But he has a killer 8-track collection.

Scott, you are probably right about calling back. It's already done. Figure it was a fluke since the first time I have done this.

Got the idea for having client call Mcare from Susan Hatch via Chris Westfall. Been using it ever since as the primary method.

Susan's motto is "Don't do drugs".

I like it.

Just curious thought. Does Dayton go to the library to get on the Insurance Forum since I doubt he has a computer of his own. He probably likes those old ladies that work there too.

Does Dayton go to the library to get on the Insurance Forum since I doubt he has a computer of his own. He probably likes those old ladies that work there too.

I think he can only get dial up in his mom's basement. At least that's what Rick told me.

Didn't read all the responses, but the main problem with 1800Medicare and Medicare.gov is that it doesn't allow for a future effective date to be selected. So if you enroll at any time before the month prior to when you want the plan to start, it's going tobe a crap shoot as to whether or not the application gets processed for the requested effective date. This primarily applies for those using an SEP. For your ICEP/IEP the start date of course will be based on when the entitlement starts so you should get the "right" start date.

I have been referring clients to Mcare.gov for quite some time to enroll in Part D. I run a report, email it, then call to discuss then provide them with implicit instructions on how to enroll by calling 1-800-MEDICARE.

Just got a notice from new Medicare client (long time U65 health insurance client).

Mcare effective 10/1. She called this week and Mcare told her to call back after the first of September. If she wanted to enroll now she should call the carrier.

So Mcare can only enroll people in PDP if they apply within 30 days of the effective date?

Never run into this before.

The way I understand it is if it's a 10/01 effective date you have to wait until after 09/01 to enroll.

Back