Part D Updates.................

kgmom219

What's Next?
5000 Post Club
Texas
Met with a client today whose drug (Nexium 40mg) went generic at the beginning of the month. Medicare.gov doesn't give the generic as an option yet when running Part D.

Anybody know how often the site is updated with drug changes?

Met with a client today whose drug (Nexium 40mg) went generic at the beginning of the month. Medicare.gov doesn't give the generic as an option yet when running Part D. Anybody know how often the site is updated with drug changes?
It can take months for a new generic to start appearing in Part D formularies. I remember Lipitor going generic mid-AEP a couple years or so ago. I got lots of calls about it. I think it was the middle of next year before it became available to Medicare beneficiaries, if memory serves.

Nexium patent expired in May 2014 and sells otc less mgs, pharmacist told me even though there was a license to make generic nothing is happening yet and may not. But if there is a license to make generic it probably will happen someday.

Nexium patent expired in May 2014 and sells otc less mgs, pharmacist told me even though there was a license to make generic nothing is happening yet and may not. But if there is a license to make generic it probably will happen someday.

20mg went OTC. 40mg is still RX. If he had emailed me (or told me) "generic Nexium", I would have been less trusting. But he handed me the manufacturers bottle. Pharmacy was Caremark mail order. So CVS probably has it on their shelves, too.

CVS doesn't have the generic where I live, but they do have otc. I have been alternating to save money on my script. You can get coupon's on the internet for otc and if you have to take one in morning and one at night to make up for the 40 my doctor says that is fine.

Nexium has been available through Canadian pharmacies for quite awhile. I just took a look at my favorite source as you can get it as low as 100 40mg for $60.

Rick

Met with a client today whose drug (Nexium 40mg) went generic at the beginning of the month. Medicare.gov doesn't give the generic as an option yet when running Part D.

Anybody know how often the site is updated with drug changes?

Part D plans may not even cover the generic at this time if the generic isn't cheaper than actual Nexium. I'm pretty sure Humana isn't covering it at this time.

Well.

This should be fun.

"I have no idea how its going to be covered. It may be covered under your Part D plan. It may not be. And there is no way to verify it, because the systems are so far behind, no one is really sure. I called 3 Part D plans and they aren't sure, either. But since you are on level 3 for higher income beneficiaries on Part B and D, I'm sure you can afford it"

That sounds good, doncha think??? ;)

Back