Phone Presentation Medicare Advantage

Hi everyone,

I am trying to better understand if it is possible to sell Medicare Advantage plans by phone? I know there has to be a consent to contact before it is okay to contact the client. I also understand that a scope of appointment form is necessary before any Medicare Advantage products can be discussed.

Once this information is received, what can the agent discuss with the client about Medicare Advantage? What are the rules? Does the presentation have to be recorded and stored for 10 years? I understand that the consent to contact and actual enrollment has to be recorded, but does the presentation?

What can the phone presentation actually consist of?

Can a scope of appointment be obtained by phone and recorded?

How can I get a hold of the scripts for the consent to contact and the script for the enrollment?

Can I send a standardized letter out to a bunch of prospects asking them to sign the consent to contact letter if they are interested in learning about Medicare Advantage?

Scope is only required for presentations made face to face. Not required for phone sales.

I've only enrolled people over the phone here in TN for MAPD for Healthspring. Their rules may be different than other carriers, but having said that, here are the rules they made us brokers follow for enrolling people on the phone:
1. It has to be done on an in-bound call (prospect has to call you) and on a recorded line.
2. You must get them to verbally acknowledge you have their permission to present a Medicare Advantage plan to them (acts as a scope-of-appointment).
3. You must give a full presentation
4. They must acknowledge on the call at the end they have your permission to enroll them in the plan you've presented.

Those are the things I'd do to cover your butt :).

This is just a WAG, but I doubt if 1% of indy agents actually are able to comply with CMS rules for online presentations. I always (and I mean always) send out a SOB via email prior to any non face to face enrollment.

In addition, I don't simply do an online enrollment. After the prospect/client has received the SOB, I complete an application, email and then receive the signed pages back either by email or fax.

Is this 100% in compliance? No, but it certainly is in the "spirit" of a compliant presentation/enrollment.

Rick

Last edited:
This is just a WAG, but I doubt if 1% of indy agents actually are able to comply with CMS rules for online presentations. I always (and I mean always) send out a SOB via email prior to any non face to face enrollment.

In addition, I don't simply do an online enrollment. After the prospect/client has received the SOB, I complete an application, email and then receive the signed pages back either by email or fax.

Is this 100% in compliance? No, but it certainly is in the "spirit" of a compliant presentation/enrollment.

Rick

I have to agree with Rick here and follow his method much the same.

Scope is only required for presentations made face to face. Not required for phone sales.

Just for the record, I am required by Horizon BCBSNJ to read a Scope script verbatim to anyone that asks for an in-home visit, and it is recorded.

Secondly, if anyone calls in and asks for info, I am free to answer questions (make a presentation) and may send out literature. I can then make a followup call with their permission. If, on that followup call they want to enroll, it can't be done. I can't transfer them to enrollment... They must hang up and call back. All phone enrollments must be inbound, not outbound, and must be recorded, along with a required enrollment script, including a clear statement of permission granted to allow recording and a voice signature. You must get the script from the carrier.

I never said a SOA wasnt required for in home visits. If anyone thinks they aren't then they obviously are a moron.

Just for the record, I am required by Horizon BCBSNJ to read a Scope script verbatim to anyone that asks for an in-home visit, and it is recorded.

Secondly, if anyone calls in and asks for info, I am free to answer questions (make a presentation) and may send out literature. I can then make a followup call with their permission. If, on that followup call they want to enroll, it can't be done. I can't transfer them to enrollment... They must hang up and call back. All phone enrollments must be inbound, not outbound, and must be recorded, along with a required enrollment script, including a clear statement of permission granted to allow recording and a voice signature. You must get the script from the carrier.

Last edited:
Jacobtn, are you a captive agent for BCBS or are you a broker?

How about if the person wants to enroll during the same call in which they call in with questions? Can you do that through pre-filling out the application and faxing and emailing it to them for signatures?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rick,

What if there is an opportunity to sell MA and MAPD on a national level?

Don't you think that being part of the 1% would be necessary. I have a very large opportunity and am trying to figure out how to go about being able to work on a national level with thousands of clients.

Last edited:
Back