Poll Question: AEP Preparations

With AEP now about 2 months out, what issue weighs most on your mind?

• Getting certified/contracted

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Adhering to CMS marketing guidelines

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Will systems/processes run smoothly?

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Lag time in commissions being paid

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Stress of upcoming long, hectic days

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Something else (elaborate in thread?)

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • No worries – let’s get started already!

Votes: 15 21.4%

• Total voters

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
As a countdown clock on an FMO website reminded me, it’s 63 days and counting down until the start of the Medicare Annual Election Period. As Oct. 15 quickly approaches, how are preparations going and what issue or issues are weighing most on your mind? What do you think will be different about this year’s AEP compared to last year?

With AEP now about 2 months out, what issue weighs most on your mind?

My only issue with AEP is always the long work days. Then there's always the chance that a plan is terminated and requires a ton of work for no extra money (this happened last year - I had to move about 80 people from a plan that terminated). That takes away time from gaining new clients.

But I guess things could be worse. At least I have a big enough book of business to keep me busy.

Doing both u65 and Medicare, it's going to be fun switching between the two. Also concerned that this might be the last year for u65 in NC.

Depending on the comp structure for u65 (if there is one this year), it could be the last year or it could be all Medicare...

Doing both u65 and Medicare, it's going to be fun switching between the two. Also concerned that this might be the last year for u65 in NC. Depending on the comp structure for u65 (if there is one this year), it could be the last year or it could be all Medicare...

Yeah I'm not counting on u65. If we get comp then I will take care of my existing clients. If not, I will be letting them know they are on their own. But either way I'm not taking any new u65 clients.

Last year was a nightmare dealing with both. In part because a MA carrier exited the market and I had to move a good bit of people who otherwise would have likely stayed put.

The goal is to have as many MA and PDP changes made by November 1st if we get comp on u65. That's going to be difficult though, but that's the goal.

I stopped doing u65 business (except for clients who have other business with me) about a year and half ago when it became clear that there was virtually no money there. It's a shame that commissions are gone because now none of us are going to help people pick a good plan and they're left to the dreaded Marketplace to figure something out on their own.

If it pays decent enough commission, I will handle U65 that falls in my lap and current U65 (small #).

I stopped doing u65 business (except for clients who have other business with me) about a year and half ago when it became clear that there was virtually no money there. It's a shame that commissions are gone because now none of us are going to help people pick a good plan and they're left to the dreaded Marketplace to figure something out on their own.

I saw the writing on the wall when it was apparent ACA would pass. Especially in either 2011 or 2012 when we took the first hit on commission (I can't remember which year it was we took the first big hit when MLR took effect). From that point forward I didn't pursue u65 business. I took care of my existing clients and the occasional referral. I've turned every referral I've received this year away unless they are 63 or older.

Latest posts

Back