Polycythemia Vera- Med Supp

insuranceconceptscindy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Las Vegas
I should have known when the client is arguing with me about an SEP.
Currently has local rotten MAPD- has had it since 65. Suddenly wants Supp and PDP. I told her no, she has to wait until AEP. Wouldn't take my no for an answer and found herself a loophole- SSA Extra Help. Well that's great news! What's wrong with you?
Only a touch of Polycythemia Vera (a type of blood cancer). Takes Hydroxyurea. It's no big deal, right?
Because she is dropping her MAPD voluntarily, no GI- unless I'm missing something?
Anyone have an idea for a supp that's not AARP that she could get through underwriting? I tried my local usual suspects- Cigna, Aetna and Stonebridge. That med is on the "why are you even trying this, get out!" list.

SSA extra help gives her an SEP to get a new plan- MAPD or PDP. We are not in a birthday rule state, which is a bummer.

Using the LIS allows her to move in and out of MAPD or PDP but has no bearing on her getting a supplement. There is no GI unless the MAPD goes out of business.

The birthday rule is in CA/OR and allows for movement between SUPPLEMENTS without underwriting once a year. There's more to it that that but she doesn't qualify anyway.

I'll spend some time the next time I'm in Vegas teaching you insurance.

Rick

Using the LIS allows her to move in and out of MAPD or PDP but has no bearing on her getting a supplement. There is no GI unless the MAPD goes out of business.

The birthday rule is in CA/OR and allows for movement between SUPPLEMENTS without underwriting once a year. There's more to it that that but she doesn't qualify anyway.

Rick

Maybe she can teach you not to use the word that in place of than.

Rick

Yeah, I'm good here. I did note all of that in my above post. No need to buy into your expensive Medicare 101 program.

The bottom line is that she's screwed. Might get her into a PPO. . .

Back