PFFS -- Apparently It Is OK To Keep Selling

My understanding is that there is a limited OEP for MA Only plans (i.e. not MAPD), meaning that rule of one change still applies after 1/1 but that the 3/31 deadline does not apply to those plans. If that is correct then it is not accurate to call it continuous open enrollment since that means unlimited changes.

Most of the MA Only plans are PFFS, at least the ones with which I am familiar. Unless something changed from how it was in 2006, a PFFS is the only way you can couple a stand-alone PDP with an MA. The stand-alone HMO's and PPO's cannot be coupled with a stand-alone PDP (meaning that the member can't enroll in Part D if they are enrolled in one of these plans) and are primarily aimed at VA beneficiaries who can get their Rx at the VA but want an alternative to VA hospitals.

It's not as easy as just getting plans approved by the states because plan changes have to be approved by CMS first. I don't know what process there is, if any, to introduce new MA plans in the middle of the year.

I agree that it is very frustrating trying to get answers on these and related questions. Just imagine how confusing it must be for those on Medicare if agents and insurance companies cannot seem to get it straight.

Latest posts

Back