Question About Part D Late Fee

Nikita

Guru
100+ Post Club
I need something clarified: if someone has a Medicare Part B effective date of 2/1/15, how long do they have to enroll in Part D before a penalty kicks in? I have heard 60 days and 63 days. Basically it seems to be 2 months. But what if the 2 months in between their Part B date and their Part D enrollment both had 31 days, then they would need 63 days grace period. So is it 63 days for sure? Because I had a client last year who went on Part B Oct 1 and Part D Dec 1, but he is paying a stupid $1/month penalty for his Part D and I don't understand why....thanks!

I need something clarified: if someone has a Medicare Part B effective date of 2/1/15, how long do they have to enroll in Part D before a penalty kicks in? I have heard 60 days and 63 days. Basically it seems to be 2 months. But what if the 2 months in between their Part B date and their Part D enrollment both had 31 days, then they would need 63 days grace period. So is it 63 days for sure? Because I had a client last year who went on Part B Oct 1 and Part D Dec 1, but he is paying a stupid $1/month penalty for his Part D and I don't understand why....thanks!

For IEP, 3 months.
For SEP, 63 days.
A $1 LEP sounds like a 3 month penalty.
When did the client trigger Part A of Medicare?

Last edited:
When was Part A effective?

Part A and B effective dates were 10/1/2014. He enrolled in a MAPD on 12/1/14 so I just don't see why he should have a Part D penalty in this scenario but Medicare insisted that he was "late."

Part A and B effective dates were 10/1/2014. He enrolled in a MAPD on 12/1/14 so I just don't see why he should have a Part D penalty in this scenario but Medicare insisted that he was "late."

It's possible that the plan reported an incorrect gap in coverage. If you want to go above and beyond, read all the mail sent to him by the plan.

A wilder scenario is that the client had previous Medicare entitlement and incurred a pentalty then.

If Parts A and B are 10/1/14, it's likely that his Part D is also 10/1/14. Yes, CMS maintains a separate Part D date; why they don't include that on the card I'll never know.

Back