Reflections from AEP

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Just posted a new article (link below) with insight from a pair of Medicare experts reflecting on the recent AEP – they talk about the hassles associated with the tight timeframe, agents dealing with the change on when commissions are paid, emerging trends, the impact of government Medicare reform efforts and more.

Please give it a read, and share your thoughts about the AEP and any changes you expect or would like to see before it rolls around again.

http://ifn.insurance-forums.net/medicare/what-we-learned-from-the-twenty-fourteen-medicare-aep-and-how-it-may-impact-twenty-fifteen/

Last edited:
Just posted a new article (link below) with insight from a pair of Medicare experts reflecting on the recent AEP – they talk about the hassles associated with the tight timeframe, agents dealing with the change on when commissions are paid, emerging trends, the impact of government Medicare reform efforts and more.

Please give it a read, and share your thoughts about the AEP and any changes you expect or would like to see before it rolls around again.

Insurance Forums | What we learned from 2014 Medicare AEP, and how it may impact 2015

Outside the ridiculous scope of appointment, and not paying enough, everything else is just fine. I am happy with them making the barrier for entry into the market harder. Less turds to flush.

I'd like to see CMS wait 3 to 4 months to get paid their salary's not just in the 4th quarter, but from the time they're hired. "Welcome to CMS, pay is twice per month but your first paycheck won't be for 3 months. Good Luck!" How many recruits do you think they'd have? When will people realize that the changes CMS is making to MAPD is to try to limit MAPD's and hopefully steer sales toward Medigap. Obama said when he was campaigning "We have to get rid of those Medicare Advantage plans" - probably parroting some CMS flunkie. The more Seniors that take Medicare Advantage, the less people needed in CMS. That's why they want to limit sales of MA - if they could eliminate sales of MA, then that would be even better. Scope of appointment, capping payments, pro-rating, delayed commissions until after effective date - all designed to slow down and discourage the agent from selling MA. This is just another example of why people hate the government. Can't understand the liberal mindset that wants to expand government!

AEP - October 1st - December 15th

Do away with SOA forms

I like the commissions being paid after January 1st - saved me a lot on 2014 tax return.

Have an exchange like Obamacare where all the carriers for Medicare options in our area are listed so all we do is log onto the website and choose new plan. I was able to do 12 - 15 clients per day on Healthcare.gov vs. maybe 6 during AEP for Medicare beneficiaries.

I spent a lot of money on seminars, mailings, fuel and such since early October. 4 months later I am still waiting on commission on 260 apps.
Luckily I have a big enough book to survive.
That would make it tough for a new agent.
I know some building contractors and other small business owners have to complete jobs before payment is received months later.
Part of livin' the dream and not working for the man.

I spent a lot of money on seminars, mailings, fuel and such since early October. 4 months later I am still waiting on commission on 260 apps

260 apps....That is impressive!! Even after seminar, how do you handle writing several bene's at one time so you don't lose the impatient ones?

I spent a lot of money on seminars, mailings, fuel and such since early October. 4 months later I am still waiting on commission on 260 apps

260 apps....That is impressive!! Even after seminar, how do you handle writing several bene's at one time so you don't lose the impatient ones?

I probably lost some, (I would say only 100 signed up at the end of the seminars.)
I tried to avoid that by stamping my writing number on the apps and providing envelopes
Some would drop them off at following seminars.
Some would call to come to their homes.

AEP - October 1st - December 15th

Do away with SOA forms

I like the commissions being paid after January 1st - saved me a lot on 2014 tax return.

Have an exchange like Obamacare where all the carriers for Medicare options in our area are listed so all we do is log onto the website and choose new plan. I was able to do 12 - 15 clients per day on Healthcare.gov vs. maybe 6 during AEP for Medicare beneficiaries.

You did 15 clients a day on hc.gov???

Uhhh....OK?

I probably lost some, (I would say only 100 signed up at the end of the seminars.)
I tried to avoid that by stamping my writing number on the apps and providing envelopes
Some would drop them off at following seminars.
Some would call to come to their homes.
You signed up 100 Medicare Advantage people at the end of your seminar? Good luck with compliance!

Back