Report from the Medigap Industry Conference

eharriett

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Returned very late on Friday night from the conference, so I've been doing a lot of catchup work, but I wanted to give you some highlights of what I learned from this conference.

First, it was an "industry" conference, not a "producer" conference. Which means it was the first time, in nine years of insurance selling, that I actually heard insurance people talking to me about the product without trying to gauge their conversation in a way to try and get me to sell it. It was really enlightening and engaging to hear people talk the Medicare Supplement as a product in and of itself. The other interesting thing about it, was there is a great deal of love and affection within the insurance industry for what Medicare Supplements are and how they positively impact the lives of seniors. I was very impressed listening to these industry insiders give their views of the product.

There were a couple of important takeaways I got from this conference. The first, is PPACA mandated Medicare Supplements plan C & F get redesigned for 2015. The government feels that people with "first dollar coverage" medicare supplements are abusing Medicare because there is no cost sharing involved. Got to meet one of the people doing the redesign, and he said the amount of extra money being spent by these so called "abusers" is around $318 million, or as he puts it, a "drop in the bucket, compared to Medicare's overall expenses." Nonetheless, all supplement C & F plans are being redesigned currently by the NAIC. Their timeline is to have it done by the end of the year so that the individual states can approve the new plans by the end of 2014. I won't go into specifics of what they're putting in, because they haven't agreed on what those specifics are, but it will be something along the lines of a $500-$600 deductible and then copays on select services up to a maximum out of pocket. This makes the plan G the new Cadillac plan after the redesign. They also cautioned the White House is spearheading a move to begin taxing people who wish to keep their current supplements or purchase other plans with first dollar coverage. He went out of his way to say plans D & G are considered "first dollar coverage," in their current incarnations, under the calculations they are putting forth. The taxation and penalization of Medicare Supplements hasn't happened yet, but it is being pushed very hard and they anticipate the push to actually involve proposals after the November elections.

Another takeaway I got was Congress is looking at adjusting MLR ratios on Supplements in the way they are being adjusted for major medical. There is currently a bill in Congress to do exactly that but it currently has very few supporters. This may change in the future. If you do not know what that means, it means there is a very high chance that all of our commissions could be drastically and significantly cut in the future. If you aren't involved in any PACs to protect your business, get involved now!

I also got to hear some of the results of a couple actuarial companies and reinsurance company surveys. Apparently, 60% of all medicare supplements sold are plan F. The next highest one, with 10% is the plan N, which recently surpassed plan G (considering how few N's I've sold, I was rather surprised by that). The largest seller of Medicare supplements, with 20% of total market share, is United Healthcare under the AARP name. I can't recall the second, but I recall the various Blue Cross/Blue Shields were about 5th. And to my astonishment, 3rd place, with 5% of all supplements is Bankers Life and Casualty! 90% of all seniors have some kind of supplemental coverage, 30% have Medicare supplements and another 30% have MA's. Supplement sales were lagging behind MA plans in recent years, but last year, supplement sales surpassed MA plans once again.And 1 in 10 seniors have 6 more more chronic conditions and those 1 in 10 are responsible for 50% of everything Medicare pays out.

PPACA mandates the creating of accountible care organizations (ACO's). Supplements are expected to be a great partnership with these ACO's, as they are a convenient platform for ACO's to communicate with beneficiaries about the quality and necessity of care. Medicare Advantage will not be participating in the ACO programs. And while ACO's are not, by law, allowed to be Medicare Supplements themselves, through a series of partnerships, sub corporations, and mergers, there is a possibility that a "perfect storm" could come by where a successful ACO comes in, creates or "endorses" one particular medicare supplement, and literally dominates the market. ACO's could wind up being the largest competitors to medicare supplements in the future.

There was also a great deal of discussion about MA plans and their place in the market. In 2013, they expect fewer new entrants into the market, as smaller players discover that the "goldmine" of CMS payments is riddled with "landmines." Insurance companies learned the hard way that dealing with 50 state regulators is actually easier than dealing with one national regulator (CMS). Quality of care, service, and costs are continuing to become more scrutinized by HHS on the MA plans. MLR rates are up at major medical levels beginning in 2014 (in other words, expect agent fees to be almost halved). Networks are going to become more discriminatory as a result of these new cost cutting measures, making HMO and PPO MA plans more difficult in terms of having many hospitals, small doctor practices covered (they mentioned this makes an interesting opportunity for Medicare SELECT plans, which does not have this same scrutiny).

There was just so much more, I don't have time to report on all of it. I'm including just two of my notes, but I've got the notes on 18 of the presentations. Some worthwhile, some not. I did not have time to edit these. They were typed on the fly, by me, on an iPad, so there are some misspellings, auto correct errors, and probably a few things that don't make sense, but if you are interested in reading these, here they are. I also recorded a few of the presentations using the bad mic in the iPad. It needs a lot of cleaning up, but I'm hoping I can make these listenable and re-listen to as many as I can in the coming weeks.

They hold these conferences every 18 months. So next one will be around September, 2013. Is it worth it? For the majority of people reading this, I'd probably say "no." If supplements are not a significant part of your income or your time, then take a pass on this. They had an "agent day" which is what you'd expect: tips on selling supplements. IMHO, I didn't really learn anything there, I didn't need it. After the agent day was over, then I got to the meat of the conference and got the insights I was looking for. They say they aren't going to do another agent day. So if that's true, and you aren't interested in the minutiae of Medicare Supplements, then don't bother. But, if you spend a lot of your time on Medicare supplements, and you want to learn more about what makes them tick, and you want to hear from people that deal with supplements that aren't in the business of selling them to either agents or clients, then absolutely consider this conference.

Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like, I'll be glad to answer anything I can, to the best of my abilities. I'll keep checking in on this thread for the foreseeable future.

Attachments

• Future of Medicare Supplements.pdf
    257.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Capital Insights: the Latest News, Issues, and Changes From DC.pdf
    261 KB · Views: 45
I'm starting to come around concerning N. I've been a G person for awhile. However, when you compare plans, if your client is relatively healthy (Not going to the doctor a whole bunch) N is a much better value for their premium dollar, especially when you account for the Part B deductible with G:

ACI is the "cheapest" Plan N for a 68 y/o M in my area at 95.96/month.

Omaha Insurance is the next "cheapest" plan G at 122.64/month

CSI is the next "cheapest" plan F at 143.16/month

Yearly saving on plan G: 320.16 and if you account for Part B, break even is 460.16 oop

For plan F, annual savings is 566.14

Unless your client is going to the doctor every two weeks, the value really sits with N.

Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the info, it's very enlightening.

Last edited:
I also got to hear some of the results of a couple actuarial companies and reinsurance company surveys. Apparently, 60% of all medicare supplements sold are plan F. The next highest one, with 10% is the plan N, which recently surpassed plan G (considering how few N's I've sold, I was rather surprised by that). The largest seller of Medicare supplements, with 20% of total market share, is United Healthcare under the AARP name.

The Plan N and UHC/AARP stats might be somewhat related. AARP does not offer Plans D and G (at least in most states that I'm aware of) and their Plan N, which in the absence of D and G is their next step down, is aggressively priced.

Good information. Thanks for sharing.

If Congress decides to "mess" with gap plans (taxation on "Cadillac" plans, requiring deductibles and copay's) the gray panthers will revolt. They really can't afford to piss off 40 million voters.

MLR hasn't worked very well for major med & small group. Won't make gap plans less expensive and cutting commissions means more seniors will be lost when it comes to options.

If Congress decides to impose MLR on gap plans are cancer, accident and other supplemental plans far behind?

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this! I sincerely appreciate any answers to the following--What is MLR ratios (I assume it is some kind of premium to dollars paid in benefits ratio) and what is a PAC to protect my business?? Thank you to anyone with answers.

Another takeaway I got was Congress is looking at adjusting MLR ratios on Supplements in the way they are being adjusted for major medical. There is currently a bill in Congress to do exactly that but it currently has very few supporters. This may change in the future. If you do not know what that means, it means there is a very high chance that all of our commissions could be drastically and significantly cut in the future. If you aren't involved in any PACs to protect your business, get involved now!

Read more: Report from the Medigap Industry Conference

Somarco,

Messing with MLR may not be going over well in our little sector of the U.S., but there hasn't been enough citizen outrage for politicians to act fast and correct it. There's a bill going through both houses of Congress right now to correct MLR on major medical, but the outrage isn't enough to make them move very fast on it. Plus, some Citizen groups endorse the change, assuming it keeps premiums lower (it doesn't, at least no credible study shows the premiums drop for more than a couple years). They feel that with the internet and other forms of purchase, our jobs are no longer needed, not realizing that our job is equally to service our clients as well as sell them. It looks like there needs to be outrage on the level of the SOPA/PIPA debacle before Congress acts swiftly.

Stone,

MLR stands for Medical Loss Ratios. You're correct it is a premium:claim ratio, with agent commissions being considered part of the profits being limited to insurance companies. Since a company can only cut back its staff so far and still be functional, the only place they really have to cut to keep with the ratios is in agent commissions. It is why you saw a lot of health insurance brokers either change their business model or go out of business entirely last year. Supplement MLR ratios are currently set by individual states. Most states set a fair MLR, With the passage of PPACA, the federal government set MLR's on major medical noticeably higher, forcing insurance companies to cut back agent commissions by a LOT! Looks like it is already passed into law for MA, according to the speakers I saw. And they're trying to float bills to pass it for medicare supplements. Some people in the "know" said it is coming. It will take a few years, but they feel it is coming.

My personal opinion is take this as a forewarning. Take action, prepare some alternative ways to support your practice, get the word out, like I'm doing now, but don't panic on speculation, no matter who "says" it.

MLR ratios on Supplements >>> This may change in the future. If you do not know what that means, it means there is a very high chance that all of our commissions could be drastically and significantly cut in the future.

Drastically and significant cut of comm's... That might mean that we would be paying the ins co for each supp sale. Who could afford to be in the Supp biz with a drastic cut of comm's at this point???

Back