Self Made Direct Mail for Medicare Supplements

You're allowed to direct mail seniors soliciting for ma? please show me an approved mailer for that?

Really? That's pretty much the only way you can reach seniors about MA plans. Don't you realize they get hundreds of MA mailings per year??

You're allowed to direct mail seniors soliciting for ma? please show me an approved mailer for that?
Mailers do not require approval so long as they do not name specific carriers or benefits. This is addressed in the MA/MAPD marketing guidelines.

I've done a self made direct piece to T65 for almost 2 years now. It's a 3 page insert with an intro about myself and the services I offer (being Indy, repping both sides of the fence, no costs for services). It them gives a ten tips section for a T65 (offered as a free birthday gift on the outside), along with a solicitation for guidance. I keep it very local to my county and its branded with my logo and a business card. I've got it down to about $1 a piece when its all said and done. I buy envelopes and cards from vista print and everything else is done at a UPS store. I think it works. The last mailer I did cost $2,200 and it generated $6,000 in 1st year commission. I like this route because people call me or request info on our website and there is no run around. My response rate is under 1% bit my close ratio is easily 95%. People know what they are responding for and are the type of consumer that appreciates guidance.

Are you saying you mail out something to t-65 prospects that is 3 pages long? That seems too long but I guess if it works for you...I was thinking short and sweet would be better but I'm still experimenting....

I just started sending out a one page t-65 sales letter. I'm curious how far out you should mail from their birthday. I'm doing 4-6 months out.

Also how many call to actions are you using. One my first mailing, my only call to action was to call me to schedule an appointment, but now I'm thinking of also directing them my website for a free report.

And I'm thinking of possibly adding a third: The BRC option. Can you even call them, if they give you permission through a reply card. Is the BRC method even compliant for MA/PDP?

Ya its a 3 page document but most of it is a 10 tips newsletter. I decided I would do the opposite of what every mailer does. I send them out every 2 months. So a Nov bday gets one from me in July, Sept,Nov. Its always a nice suprise when an Aug bday emails you this weekend saying they need to start looking at their options for 8/1...gotta love the procrastinators.

----------

I have 2 call to actions to call me (which is the ultimate goal) and 2 directing to website.

My understanding is that as long as you have a SOA your compliant selling MA or MAPD off of a mailing. I do reference MA and medicare.gov plan finder on my 10 tips but keep it generic in nature.

If you want to know more about it, I think that this site is very reliable and I always use it to clear out my queries. lifeinsuranceguideline.com]

Ya its a 3 page document but most of it is a 10 tips newsletter. I decided I would do the opposite of what every mailer does. I send them out every 2 months. So a Nov bday gets one from me in July, Sept,Nov. Its always a nice suprise when an Aug bday emails you this weekend saying they need to start looking at their options for 8/1...gotta love the procrastinators.

----------

I have 2 call to actions to call me (which is the ultimate goal) and 2 directing to website.

My understanding is that as long as you have a SOA your compliant selling MA or MAPD off of a mailing. I do reference MA and medicare.gov plan finder on my 10 tips but keep it generic in nature.
I was thinking repeated mailings would make the most sense. I study the mail that t-65's get. You can definitely differentiate yourself just by being personable! I assume your sending a different letter each time, right?

Last edited:
Great information! Thank you. I am about to send out mailers that include a carries rates with a separate letter about myself and agency. I am a little concerned about CMS rules. I know the letter with rates is compliant. I am unsure about an intro letter. Do you know anything about that?
Thank you

Great information! Thank you. I am about to send out mailers that include a carries rates with a separate letter about myself and agency. I am a little concerned about CMS rules. I know the letter with rates is compliant. I am unsure about an intro letter. Do you know anything about that?
Thank you
I wouldn't send rates. What's to stop them from just calling the carrier directly and enrolling?

If you're going to do your own mailer, a good first step of a marketing funnel is to offer a compelling article or report for free.

I've done about 8,000 direct mail pieces to T65's in my area with a phone number as the only option, I've averaged about 1 call per 500 pieces (16 calls) and have about the same number of enrollments (some have husband/wife both enrolling).

The response rate is probably regional, essentially I am spending my FYC to profit on the renewals. I do it in spurts (not each month) because I'm never sure that it makes sense for me.

Latest posts

Back