Selling MA Plans to my Rx Pts.

Let me start off with thanking you all for your input. Also, I would like to make myself clear, I am NOT a pharmacist, although I do own the pharmacy. I am a certified tech and really don't want to put my business in jeopardy with CMS or any other entity. They already have a noose around our necks, last thing I want them to do is pull the chair off from under my feet.

I am still unclear if it is premissable for me to continue in this venture. If a pt. comes and asks me "what the hell do I do with all this medicare paperwork", can I help them if I am a "sales agent"? Second scenario, lets say I have flyers in the pharmacy or one of my employees offers my service, can I explain how I can help them and then setup a time to meet at their home?

What is the best way to detach my pharmacy from my MA business and still be able to draw customers from the pharmacy.

Let me start off with thanking you all for your input. Also, I would like to make myself clear, I am NOT a pharmacist, although I do own the pharmacy. I am a certified tech and really don't want to put my business in jeopardy with CMS or any other entity. They already have a noose around our necks, last thing I want them to do is pull the chair off from under my feet.

I am still unclear if it is premissable for me to continue in this venture. If a pt. comes and asks me "what the hell do I do with all this medicare paperwork", can I help them if I am a "sales agent"? Second scenario, lets say I have flyers in the pharmacy or one of my employees offers my service, can I explain how I can help them and then setup a time to meet at their home?

What is the best way to detach my pharmacy from my MA business and still be able to draw customers from the pharmacy.

I too was a technician, not a pharmacist, so I understand where you are coming from. It is permissible, for you to continue. We just wanted to warn you of all the possible pitfalls and let you decide if the reward outweighs the risk.

You can help them with choosing plans as long as you don't do it within 20 feet of the pharmacy area. If you want to set yourself up a corner near the front of the store, you can definitely do that.

You can explain to them how you can help while in the pharmacy, but you can't do any selling.

My recommendation to keep things separate would be to have separate contact information for the insurance work (not the pharmacy address or phone number). Set up brochures so they know you can help. Set up a booth near the front of the store during open enrollment. Always let the clients come to you first.

And most importantly follow ALL of the CMS regulations. I know you understand how particular they are.

That's great info, I think I am going to go though the process. I plan on setting up a permanent desk with all the info near the entrance, which is beyond the 20' from the pharmacy counter. Once pt. asks for help, ill flip my hat backwards and put on another badge. Plan on making sales off site and within the patients home.

Is there anywhere I can read all the CMS regulations in regards to selling plans. I don't plan on starting until I know how to preform 100% within my scope of producing clients and not affecting my current operation.

So lets see if I have the process correct;
1) Online 52 hours course + Exam crash course ~$240
2) Take the exam ~$80
3) Errors and Omissions Coverage ~$500......is this a typical price and I take it this is an annual coverage?
4) AHIP training ~$200....not sure exactly what this is yet
5) Get setup with an "agency" or directly with plans
6) Ready to roll?

I think just as big an issue is that AEP starts on 10/15 and plans can be presented on 10/1.

Can you get everything done and be ready to "rock and roll" in time? Also, at $26 an enrollment will it even be worth the issue. Writing 40 people is only $1,000.

Rick

$26??????

I was under the assumption that its $500+, where am I wrong?

I realize that this year maybe a wash, but figured I would be all prepared with a better game plan next year.

$26??????

I was under the assumption that its $500+, where am I wrong?

I realize that this year maybe a wash, but figured I would be all prepared with a better game plan next year.

Rick is referring to PDP Commission. If you live in CA you get $500 plus if new to MA, half if replacement. Most states is 400/200+.

I'm still a novice, I really don't get how the pay works. Is that a one time pay? If you change that same persons plan next year you get paid again? What is PDP commission?

Back