SEP Questions

SirLurkAlot

Expert
I have a 72 y.o. male that was on a MAPD in 2012. Sometime during that year he was incarcerated and of course lost his MAPD. He was released in October 2013 and contacted me to enroll him in CIP (Nolan County TX- so options are slim). However, he had lost his Part B due to incarceration thus was unable to enroll in any MAPD. He immediately contacted Social Security to re-instate his Part B.

He called me last week because his Part B became effective 7/1/14. I scoped him, met with him and submitted the application using ICEP. Application was denied. (Note this is a regular MAPD- not a dual or chronic)

I was told that ICEP is not valid despite a 7/1/14 effective date for Part B. They told me he would have had to enroll in CIP prior to July with effective date of 7/1/14 for him to be eligible so now he must wait until AEP.

In studying SEP's for incarceration, the only thing I found was one related to a moving clause but that has a 60 day window and obviously he couldn't sign-up within 60 days of release last October because his Part B had been terminated.

Few questions: Is there an SEP that would be valid for this circumstance? Would Medicare grant a special SEP given the circumstance? If he would have contacted me in June (so we could have had it effective 7/1 as CIP indicated was necessary)- what election period code would I have used since ICEP is apparently not valid for a Part B reinstatement? I have contacted reps for UHC and basically they say he's SOL but none of them seemed confident in their answer.

Side note, this client is 500 miles roundtrip from me and I have driven it twice with nothing to show for it. It's not about the money- it's about helping someone who needs it (although not sure he deserves the help given the crime for which he was incarcerated but that is not my place to judge). I will help others anytime I can and, if deemed deserving,will reap the rewards in the future.

FYI, I found this forum today while researching something else and have wasted (or spent :biggrin: ) over three hours of my day reading threads. This is a great site and I plan to be a somewhat active part of it going forward.

Last edited:
I have a 72 y.o. male that was on a MAPD in 2012. Sometime during that year he was incarcerated and of course lost his MAPD. He was released in October 2013 and contacted me to enroll him in CIP (Nolan County TX- so options are slim). However, he had lost his Part B due to incarceration thus was unable to enroll in any MAPD. He immediately contacted Social Security to re-instate his Part B. He called me last week because his Part B became effective 7/1/14. I scoped him, met with him and submitted the application using ICEP. Application was denied. (Note this is a regular MAPD- not a dual or chronic) I was told that ICEP is not valid despite a 7/1/14 effective date for Part B. They told me he would have had to enroll in CIP prior to July with effective date of 7/1/14 for him to be eligible so now he must wait until AEP. In studying SEP's for incarceration, the only thing I found was one related to a moving clause but that has a 60 day window and obviously he couldn't sign-up within 60 days of release last October because his Part B had been terminated. Few questions: Is there an SEP that would be valid for this circumstance? Would Medicare grant a special SEP given the circumstance? If he would have contacted me in June (so we could have had it effective 7/1 as CIP indicated was necessary)- what election period code would I have used since ICEP is apparently not valid for a Part B reinstatement? I have contacted reps for UHC and basically they say he's SOL but none of them seemed confident in their answer. Side note, this client is 500 miles roundtrip from me and I have driven it twice with nothing to show for it. It's not about the money- it's about helping someone who needs it (although not sure he deserves the help given the crime for which he was incarcerated but that is not my place to judge). I will help others anytime I can and, if deemed deserving,will reap the rewards in the future. FYI, I found this forum today while researching something else and have wasted (or spent :biggrin: ) over three hours of my day reading threads. This is a great site and I plan to be a somewhat active part of it going forward.
The carrier is correct that he could have enrolled before July 1 for a July 1 start date due to a delayed part B enrollment (there is another recent thread where someone claimed this is not possible, but of course it is). This is available to those who enroll in Medicare part B during the GEP and is available between April 1 and June 30.

There is also an SEP for those being released from jail. This allows someone to get an MA or PDP up to two months after the release from jail. However, it would have only worked if he had not dropped part B when he went to jail.

So, I see no available election for him until AEP this fall.

The Medicare publication below describes both of these available elections. See bottom of page 3 for the delayed part B election he could've used if he ever enrolled in June, and the bottom of page 7 for the SEP related to release from jail he could have used if he had not dropped part B and wanted to enroll in an MA up to two months after his release.

http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11219.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply! Are incarcerated individuals able to keep Part B? I was told 'No' which would make the incarceration clause pretty much moot. Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick reply! Are incarcerated individuals able to keep Part B? I was told 'No' which would make the incarceration clause pretty much moot. Thanks again!
Incarcerated people do not lose their part B unless they stop paying for it. So, most incarcerated people lose their part B.

Below is a helpful Social Security publication on how SS and Medicare benefits are affected for incarcerated people.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10133.pdf

Thanks WCMason! Shoot, forget working Wal-Mart during AEP- setup a kiosk at the local prison and you're guaranteed a captive audience. :cool:

Back