Sep

JimmyUt

Guru
1000 Post Club
Utah
I have a client who has Medicare A&B only but is planning to move from California to Utah. Without having prior coverage, will they still qualify for an SEP to get an MA or do they need to wait til AEP. They will not qualify for a med supp based on a recent cancer diagnosis

If you have a few weeks to do this and they either have diabetes or heart disease, they could enroll in a C-SNP if available now. When they move they will have an SEP into a sup on a GI basis.

Rick

If you have a few weeks to do this and they either have diabetes or heart disease, they could enroll in a C-SNP if available now. When they move they will have an SEP into a sup on a GI basis.

Rick

This 100% is the best answer IN CA there are more C-SNP available
then a lot of other places as well

So you might be in luck

I have a client who has Medicare A&B only but is planning to move from California to Utah. Without having prior coverage, will they still qualify for an SEP to get an MA or do they need to wait til AEP. They will not qualify for a med supp based on a recent cancer diagnosis

Did you ask if the client has LIS? If so then you know what to do.

Actually, if surgery for cancer is not an issue she MAY qualify for a supp UHC in CA. Give me a call Jimmy. Let's talk about this.

Rick

Actually, if surgery for cancer is not an issue she MAY qualify for a supp UHC in CA. Give me a call Jimmy. Let's talk about this.

Rick

I am waiting to hear back and will reach out to you. She is a friend of my mothers so I have yet to speak with her personally

Last edited:

Rick

Looks like she has a Medicare drug plan through AARP so she will qualify for an SEP into an MA or get a med supp on a GI basis once she decides if she is coming. She will need surgery more than likely and doesnt have conditions that would allow her to get into the C-SNP there.

Looks like she has a Medicare drug plan through AARP so she will qualify for an SEP into an MA or get a med supp on a GI basis once she decides if she is coming. She will need surgery more than likely and doesnt have conditions that would allow her to get into the C-SNP there.

How does having a drug plan allow for either an SEP into an MA or Med Supp?

The C-SNP would be ideal if she does indeed qualify, assuming it's available. What is she going to do for September in CA. Wouldn't it be a good idea to get something going THIS WEEK?

Rick

How does having a drug plan allow for either an SEP into an MA or Med Supp?

The C-SNP would be ideal if she does indeed qualify, assuming it's available. What is she going to do for September in CA. Wouldn't it be a good idea to get something going THIS WEEK?

Rick

You are right. I had something else in my head and apparently it wasn't a brain.I was thinking the SEP would work when going from PDP to MA for some reason.I am not sure she will qualify for the C-SNP, because other than the breast cancer, I don't believe she has other issues. She is in Millbrae 94030. She has more testing to come next week.

I show three plans available where she is.
CCHP Senior Program (HMO) (H0571-001-0)
AARP MedicareComplete SecureHorizons (HMO) (H0543-028-0)
Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage Marin San Mateo (HMO) (H0524-031-0).... 5 Star

I don't think any are the C-SNP, but she could certainly enroll in Kaiser and then use the SEP once she comes out here.

Last edited:
Back