Which SEP Would Apply Here

You're right about the out of luck part. His ICEP ended June 30 to get an MA or PDP plan. The only thing available to him now is Open Enrollment for a med sup, everything else waits till AEP barring any special elections available like LIS.

Same question basically but my lady's part b is due to disability.

The problem is she just got her card yesterday! The effective date for part B is 07-2017. Part A is 04-2016.

Wanting MAPD, is she already out of luck?

Same question basically but my lady's part b is due to disability.

The problem is she just got her card yesterday! The effective date for part B is 07-2017. Part A is 04-2016.

Wanting MAPD, is she already out of luck?

Well, getting your card and getting your Medicare are two different things. Does she have an SSA award letter dated in August saying her Part B will start in July? If so, I would consider that a retroactive notice of Medicare and she gets a special election. Some carriers will ask for that proof though. She hasn't applied for Extra Help? Of course having that would give her an election too.

Well, getting your card and getting your Medicare are two different things. Does she have an SSA award letter dated in August saying her Part B will start in July? If so, I would consider that a retroactive notice of Medicare and she gets a special election. Some carriers will ask for that proof though. She hasn't applied for Extra Help? Of course having that would give her an election too.

It turns out that award letter is dated July 28th. Obviously she wouldn't have actually received it until August.

How do you like her chances? What is the SEP code?

It will be rejected. Though I don't use it often it should be ICEP effective 7/1 but you don't get the 3 months after.

ICEP only applies to both A & B starting at the same time. There is a Part B delayed SEP which can be used, but that SEP code has to be used before the effective date of their Part B.

ICEP only applies to both A & B starting at the same time. There is a Part B delayed SEP which can be used, but that SEP code has to be used before the effective date of their Part B.

Wrong. Let's say a person turned 65 in January 2016 and only picked up Part A since they'll get it for free, but they continue to work. The person retires and picks up Part B August 1. The ICEP for an MA/MAPD would be May, June, July. I don't know why CMS insists on shortening it to just the 3 months before the start of Part B, but that's the way it is.

As for the OP's question, you could try the SEP for retroactive entitlement and see if it floats.

Back