Shortened Medicare Advantage Withdrawal Period

Clint

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Changes in Medicare Advantage rules brought about by the health care law mean that seniors have a shorter time period in which to withdraw from MA plans. Consequently, seniors are being urged to make desired withdrawals before the disenrollment period ends on Feb. 14. Beyond that date, seniors will not be allowed to withdraw until the fall.

In addition, in previous years, seniors were permitted to switch MA plans during an “escape hatch” period spanning the first three months of the year. That option no longer exists; seniors unhappy with their MA coverage may switch only to traditional Medicare. They may, however, purchase a prescription drug plan or supplemental coverage.

Seniors need to examine their needs and become aware of new protections brought about by the health care law. Until now, MA plans have often required hefty out-of-pocket costs with no limit, prompting some seniors to go deeply into debt in order to afford expensive treatments. The new law aims to prevent this by capping MA out-of-pocket expenses at $6,700 per year.

Traditional Medicare requires a 20 percent co-payment for some services and has no cap. To avoid high out-of-pocket costs, many seniors choose to purchase a supplemental Medigap plan. However, Medigap plans can refuse applicants based on preexisting conditions, a factor that seniors should weigh carefully in choosing among health care options.

Health care alert: Shortened Medicare Advantage withdrawal period - Medicare - Senior Market Advisor

If only they had announced this earlier, maybe the seniors would have known.

before the disenrollment period ends on Feb. 14

My calendar says today is 2/17. Is the 2/14 date every year going forward (or when CMS changes their mind again) or is it just in 2011?

in previous years, seniors were permitted to switch MA plans during an “escape hatch” period spanning the first three months of the year. That option no longer exists; seniors unhappy with their MA coverage may switch only to traditional Medicare. They may, however, purchase a prescription drug plan or supplemental coverage.

So the 2/14 date still applies, correct?

Can anyone imagine the Ma & PDP market if there was no lock in...no need for SEPs, disenrollment periods etc. If a client does not like the service of their plan they can just switch....

Can't you just imagine......

Can anyone imagine the Ma & PDP market if there was no lock in...no need for SEPs, disenrollment periods etc. If a client does not like the service of their plan they can just switch....

I can imagine it. I also think it would be much improved. I have always thought that most of the problems with MA plans would go away without lock in.

What other business works like that? Can you imagine if our life insurance clients were locked in?

Before the MMA that's how it was. It was an absolute mess administratively. I'm not saying I'm a fan of the way things are being done now, especially because jdeasy and I have been getting along so well lately, but there were some serious problems with it when it was continuous open enrollment.

Before the MMA that's how it was. It was an absolute mess administratively. I'm not saying I'm a fan of the way things are being done now, especially because jdeasy and I have been getting along so well lately, but there were some serious problems with it when it was continuous open enrollment.

I won't disagree with you as I never worked the market then, not that I work the MA market now....The question is the adminstrative nightmares...was it due to CMS not being able to handle it, The carriers, both CMS and Carriers, or the agents?

I know that you favor lock-in. And, I'll concede that you may be right about in the big picture, but, from the agent's side and the client's side, it is a mess.

It would sure be nice on the agent and client side for a competent to be able to fix a mess that an agent that didn't know what he was doing made instead of telling the people that we will get it fixed in Nov.

From strictly the client's point of view, wouldn't it be nice for companies to have their answer their phones and provide decent service or risk losing that client?

I have always been a "cream rises to the top" sort of believer. Lock-in has become a way to keep marginal companies in business. That is really what's wrong with it.

I do understand that, since they are GI, {except for ESRD}, that it could be a nightmare to administer with no lock in. Still, the strongest and best would find a way.

" It would sure be nice on the agent and client side for a competent to be able to fix a mess that an agent that didn't know what he was doing made instead of telling the people that we will get it fixed in Nov. "

I totally agree. No lock in would be crazy, but without Open Enrollment Period, people can get stuck before they know what hit them. Either a bad agent recommendation, or their current plan just changes from the prior year and they didn't read their new Summary of Benefits close enough. How many of them do you think read & understand those??

Why is it that LIS and Duals have a year 'round SEP? Why the hell are they special?

If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for everyone.

Rick

Back