Should I Become a UHC Captive Agent?

If you have to ask, take the position. Not everyone is geared to be independent. That is not a bad thing, we are all different. It is lonely out there on your own, you alone are responsible for every single detail of your business.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I've been in the Health Insurance Business for 20 years, and selling Medicare Plans for 10 of those years as an employee. My position and the department I worked in was eliminated. So I have experience, I don't need hand holding, micro management, or someone treating me like an EMPLOYEE without Employee Benefits - which is what I believe would happen as a Captive Agent. I'm following my gut, and staying as I am - INDEPENDENT. I guess I just wanted to hear what others thought and solidify what I already knew.

Thank you all for your feed back.

Well there you go..... you just answered your own question to your complete satisfaction!:D

If you have to ask, take the position. Not everyone is geared to be independent. That is not a bad thing, we are all different. It is lonely out there on your own, you alone are responsible for every single detail of your business.

Wow why such a harsh response, Sounds like She worked an agency and is recently without a job. Has experience, Does not need landholding in regards to how to sell.

Sound like she was only inquiring because she really hasn't Yet put in much time as Independent Agent. I don't know for me when I started it was a little scary.

As long as she has some money for marketing sounds like she is in the right position for becoming an Independent Agent

I am quite familiar with the ICA program at UHC. The agents have 1099 tax status. It is a great program for the most part, but what you have to keep in mind is that you will not be able to offer those prospects any other plans besides UHC. I was a captive agent for several years and the lead support is great, but the price you pay is giving up your objectivity. If you can develop other ways to find prospects, or buy leads, I think you are better off being independent. No single plan is going to be the best plan for each and every person. Being appointed with every available plan means you have the members' best interest at heart. Knowing this when I go into every appointment is awesome. You have to decide how important being 100% objective is to you.

And how much do they get of the commission? 50%

Assuming you can sell and have the product knowledge, this is stupid. All you are getting is free leads.

Also assuming you are a newbie, you just have to get through the 3 years of starving. It's how it is. I'm sure 100 AEP apps sounds wonderful...til its 3 years from now and you are starting your book from scratch. Again.

(On the other hand...ICA is great place to start, they have great product and sales training)

Wrong, ***...You get to keep 100% of renewals.
You get more than free leads... ie advertising, ability to do seminars, etc.

The "freeness" of "free" leads and the utility of advertising and seminars in building a business has been discussed in other threads. Depending on the individual, those may not have the value you imply.

Wrong, ***...You get to keep 100% of renewals.

Wow.

Its been a while since I've been called an ***

So. What you are saying is that if I go work at ICA next year and write 100 new policies with a 1/1/18 effective date at $400ish, then leave ICA 6/1/18 to go be independent and all of those policies do a straight renewal on 1/1/19, I would get the renewal commission as an independent?

Who knew??? ;)

I am in SW Florida, not captive, have agents under my agency and I have written 157 by myself. Get out in your community and market yourself, join chamber and other groups. Do not go backwards to captive!!

I am quite familiar with the ICA program at UHC. The agents have 1099 tax status. It is a great program for the most part, but what you have to keep in mind is that you will not be able to offer those prospects any other plans besides UHC. I was a captive agent for several years and the lead support is great, but the price you pay is giving up your objectivity. If you can develop other ways to find prospects, or buy leads, I think you are better off being independent. No single plan is going to be the best plan for each and every person. Being appointed with every available plan means you have the members' best interest at heart. Knowing this when I go into every appointment is awesome. You have to decide how important being 100% objective is to you.

When you went from captive to independent were you able to keep your book of business that you built when you were a captive agent?

As a former ICA, the benefits/downsides vary by part of the country

Since you are not allowed to contract with any other MAPD/Med Supp carrier you are giving up HUGE potential. Of course you can sell FE, Dental etc.

ICAs some years ago (in this area) got tons of leads, training, were given pre-set AEP meetings. Etc. Then as the number of ICAs exploded, all that was watered down. So it ended up being tons of meetings and WebEx's and reports all for nothing in return

So I added the other carriers, switched contract to the FMO channel and I can't tell any difference in my relationship with UHC. Same as before--no leads, no meetings, no training nothing.

SOME areas are different. UHC is famed for not giving a **** about agents so---whatever is offered now, it probably wont be in a couple of years.

I wish you well!

Back