Should I Become a UHC Captive Agent?

Sky

Currently I'm an Independent Broker contracted directly with some carriers and contracted with other carriers through an FMO. Yet, I've noticed a few of the Captive Agents under United Health Care (UHC) did over 100 Applications for AEP 1/1/2017. I spoke to the Broker Manager about joining as a Captive Agent. He said he would give me leads, assist financially with some marketing, and if I did seminars for them they would be advertised in the news paper.

Yet, I like and want to remain The Boss of what and when I do things. I don't want him to suddenly start treating me like an employee because I'm a Captive Agent. Also, I'm not sure about canceling my UHC contract with the FMO to go under UHC with the Broker Manager as a Captive Agent.

What have been some of your experiences as a Captive Agent? Or what should I be aware of or ask the Broker Manager with UHC, before canceling my FMO contract to be a Captive Agent?

Currently I'm an Independent Broker contracted directly with some carriers and contracted with other carriers through an FMO. Yet, I've noticed a few of the Captive Agents under United Health Care (UHC) did over 100 Applications for AEP 1/1/2017. I spoke to the Broker Manager about joining as a Captive Agent. He said he would give me leads, assist financially with some marketing, and if I did seminars for them they would be advertised in the news paper.

Yet, I like and want to remain The Boss of what and when I do things. I don't want him to suddenly start treating me like an employee because I'm a Captive Agent. Also, I'm not sure about canceling my UHC contract with the FMO to go under UHC with the Broker Manager as a Captive Agent.

What have been some of your experiences as a Captive Agent? Or what should I be aware of or ask the Broker Manager with UHC, before canceling my FMO contract to be a Captive Agent?

You can't have your cake, and eat it too. :no:

I can't imagine going from independent to captive. That's doing it backwards.:yes:

Do the ICA thing for a couple of years.
Build up your book.
Take advantage of the training.
Keep record of all of your lead contacts.
Then when you are ready, go back to independent and you get to keep your renewals.

And how much do they get of the commission? 50%

Assuming you can sell and have the product knowledge, this is stupid. All you are getting is free leads.

Also assuming you are a newbie, you just have to get through the 3 years of starving. It's how it is. I'm sure 100 AEP apps sounds wonderful...til its 3 years from now and you are starting your book from scratch. Again.

(On the other hand...ICA is great place to start, they have great product and sales training)

Yet, I like and want to remain The Boss of what and when I do things. I don't want him to suddenly start treating me like an employee because I'm a Captive Agent.

(Caveat-not an agent here). I think you answered your own question with these 2 sentences.

You are proposing to submit yourself to a form of indentured servitude based on what you think others have achieved. It sounds like you will kick yourself at least once a day for having done so.

Be what you expressed you really want to be, "The Boss" and see if you can study out some other ways to get to your objective. And when thinking about "the objective" give some thought to what it really is.

Why do you want to sell 100 UHC applications in x months? What is the REAL life meaning of that to you? And what then, are the ramifications of that meaning, in terms of needed Carriers, Products, and Sales Techniques/Training?

I appreciate everyone's input.

I've been in the Health Insurance Business for 20 years, and selling Medicare Plans for 10 of those years as an employee. My position and the department I worked in was eliminated. So I have experience, I don't need hand holding, micro management, or someone treating me like an EMPLOYEE without Employee Benefits - which is what I believe would happen as a Captive Agent. I'm following my gut, and staying as I am - INDEPENDENT. I guess I just wanted to hear what others thought and solidify what I already knew.

Thank you all for your feed back.

If you are wanting opinions then my opinion is that you should take the position.

I spent 18 yrs as a carrier rep in various capacities. Got tired of having to look for a job every 5 yrs or so as carriers decided to move in a different direction and position eliminated, or the company was sold.

Last job made good money and had a LOT of independence. No micro-managing. Company was sold. New company didn't want high earning reps so half of us lost jobs.

Took me about 18 months to replace my 6 figure income. Never looked back. Only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

I have had to change direction a few times including leaving the U65 market because of Obamacare. Now work the Medicare market and love it.

Back