SSDI Benefits; Not Enrolled in Part B?

lks288

I have a client who is under age 65 and was recently approved for SSDI benefits. Entitled to SS payments as of 3/2014. Her award letter says she is eligible for Part A of Medicare on 3/1/2016, but says nothing about her Part B effective date. She received her red white & blue card in the mail and it only lists her Part A effective date. I am just confused as to why she would not be eligible for Part B on 3/1/2016 given the 24 month rule. Has anyone had this happen before? I have never come across this situation and I work only with those on SSDI.

I have a client who is under age 65 and was recently approved for SSDI benefits. Entitled to SS payments as of 3/2014. Her award letter says she is eligible for Part A of Medicare on 3/1/2016, but says nothing about her Part B effective date. She received her red white & blue card in the mail and it only lists her Part A effective date. I am just confused as to why she would not be eligible for Part B on 3/1/2016 given the 24 month rule. Has anyone had this happen before? I have never come across this situation and I work only with those on SSDI.
I have had this happen a few times before and in each case the person was covered by an employer group health plan. I interpreted that to mean that Medicare had that information and so did not automatically enroll them in Part B. That's one possible explanation. It does not mean the person is not eligible for part B, only that she is not automatically enrolled in it.

All of my clients who are on SSDI & become eligible for Medicare have been automatically enrolled in both part A & B. If they have employer group coverage they have had to fill out paperwork to opt out of Part B prior to their effective date to avoid the premium being automatically deducted from their monthly benefits. I have never had anyone say that they were not enrolled in Part B automatically.

This particular client is not covered under a group health plan, she is single and on Medicaid.

All of my clients who are on SSDI & become eligible for Medicare have been automatically enrolled in both part A & B. If they have employer group coverage they have had to fill out paperwork to opt out of Part B prior to their effective date to avoid the premium being automatically deducted from their monthly benefits. I have never had anyone say that they were not enrolled in Part B automatically. This particular client is not covered under a group health plan, she is single and on Medicaid.
Then I would help the client complete a paper application for Part B (CMS 40B). Her not getting automatically enrolled may not have an explanation other than it being an error.

Back