Still no word on 2009 MA commissions

After Humana had the audacity to charge for 2009 certification, I dropped them from my briefcase. Now, I have decided to forgo Medicare altogether. I just wish that all agents would boycott this mess. What would the CMS Gods do then??? :err:

What CMS really wants, and will eventually get, is a captive agent force deployed through tightly controlled call centers. The goal is to eradicate the independent sales force-- ALL enrollments via phone or internet... George Orwell would have loved it... :wubclub:

It used to be profitable to bow to CMS and all the crap that goes with it. But now, the playing field has changed and the agent has the least leverage in the deal. This last year I have seen trends developing in this market which, frankly, scare me-- contradictory regulations, ridiculous credentialing, malicious complaints by customers, FMO's that encourage rogue agent conduct, and yes-- rogue agents. This thing has become a ship without a rudder. And just who stands to lose??? That's right, us!:wideeyed:

that is what I said 2 years ago!

Why continue to bow down to CMS?

A man after my own heart.

I said the same thing two years ago. Although I have certified every year I have only sold two PFFS plans and they were out of necessity. I have since put them back into a Med Supp.

I became an independent agent to be, of all things, independent. I believe there is no way anyone can even try to comply with all the CMS crap and still consider themselves "Independent".

I refuse to be dictated to by a group of people who don't have a clue what they are doing or have an understanding of what we do. CMS is preventing the senior population from learning about all of the options available to them and not allowing professional agents to help them make a well-informed, intelligent decision regarding their health care.

That ain't right. And yes, I'm holding back!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It used to be profitable to bow to CMS and all the crap that goes with it. But now, the playing field has changed and the agent has the least leverage in the deal. This last year I have seen trends developing in this market which, frankly, scare me-- contradictory regulations, ridiculous credentialing, malicious complaints by customers, FMO's that encourage rogue agent conduct, and yes-- rogue agents. This thing has become a ship without a rudder. And just who stands to lose??? That's right, us!:wideeyed:

Very well said.

I think you were being very kind when you said "This thing has become a ship without a rudder". More like a homemade raft headed for a waterfall.

I'm very thankful that I didn't get caught up in the whole PFFS thing and have continued to recommend and sell Med Supps to my prospects. I really feel sorry for those agents who have sold and relied on MA's for the bulk of their income.

The Med Supp market is still alive and well. I will be happy to share what I know about it to any agent who is working the senior market and would like to move more in the direction of Medicare Supplement policies.

Last edited:
You hit it right on the button Frank: in the end, it's really the seniors that are not being served. They don't deserve this mess. I guess the litmus test is the question of staggering regulations. Are these necessary because government monies are involved, or because the naive senior needs protection?

Latest posts

Back