T65 Early Enrollment Limits, Not Drawing SS Income

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Medicare.gov says enrollment period starts 90 days before eligibility, but just let a close associate complete online enrollment app 4 months ahead of month of T65. Anyone have experience with this?

Anyone not taking Social Security retirement benefits before T65 must enroll--and be set up to pay Medicare B premiums quarterly.

I have a new client T65 in January 2016. Wants to know how early he can enroll online. Won't be drawing Social Security for several years, so won't be automatically enrolled in Medicare & receive the card 3 months before T65.

I don't think I have any carriers that will process an app more than 90 days prior to the eff date.

This client will be eligible for Medicare 1/1/2016--T65 next January. note: not a procrastinator, we met today to make the game plan, at his request.
My question is about him enrolling himself in Medicare A & B as early as he can, so he can get his Medicare card and sign up for his Med Supp and RX plan on day one of open enrollment/carrier limit if possible. In this case, 10/15/15 for PDP, 10/1/15 for MedSupp. As a practical matter, will do both at once. He is concerned that if he has to wait to even apply for Medicare A & B until 10/1/15, it may take a long time to get his card, then a long time to get policies issued for Supp and PDP.

One of those, let me pay the premium for a whole year and get started ASAP people. A good client, just wants the best, one and done.

My associate who just completed their own enrollment app online 3 3/4 months ahead of the T65 month will be the Mikey for this try anything project. The app is outside of the 7 month enrollment window, we'll see what response happens. The system didn't prevent the app.

Last edited:
This client will be eligible for Medicare 1/1/2016--T65 next January. note: not a procrastinator, we met today to make the game plan, at his request.
My question is about him enrolling himself in Medicare A & B as early as he can, so he can get his Medicare card and sign up for his Med Supp and RX plan on day one of open enrollment/carrier limit if possible. In this case, 10/15/15 for PDP, 10/1/15 for MedSupp. As a practical matter, will do both at once. He is concerned that if he has to wait to even apply for Medicare A & B until 10/1/15, it may take a long time to get his card, then a long time to get policies issued for Supp and PDP.

One of those, let me pay the premium for a whole year and get started ASAP people. A good client, just wants the best, one and done.

My associate who just completed their own enrollment app online 3 3/4 months ahead of the T65 month will be the Mikey for this try anything project. The app is outside of the 7 month enrollment window, we'll see what response happens. The system didn't prevent the app.

Some medicare supplement companies will allow you to sign up six months in advance for open enrollment. The pdp will be 10/1 for earliest date to enroll. I have no idea if you can apply for Medicare early.

I have had non-SS benefits clients enroll on line for Medicare as early as 3 1/2 months prior to their effective date. This happens to be the same week Medicare cards arrive in the mail for those are drawing Social Security benefits.

I have enrolled clients in med sup plans as early as six months prior to their effective date. This varies by carrier, of course

1. You can't always enroll online when not taking SS benefits. No idea why. I would tell the client to try on 9/1 and if it doesn't work, call and make the appt

2. Which carrier? I've done 4 months, but I am sure some want 90 days. Its a carrier specific question. (And the answer may change by Sept)

The pdp will be 10/1 for earliest date to enroll.

I don't believe so. Considering his Medicare will start January 1st, I don't think he'll be able to enroll in a 2016 plan until 10/15. Technically he should be able to do it 10/1, but I'm sure the carrier and Medicare would have an aneurysm trying to figure it out.

T65 can sign up for supplement 6 months ahead, so you can sign his plan up for a Plan F or G or N or whatever 7-1-15.
Tell him to make an appt with SS in September.
Sign him up for a PDP as soon as he can 10-1-15, by then you can see the 2016 plans on medicare.gov

1. You can't always enroll online when not taking SS benefits. No idea why. I would tell the client to try on 9/1 and if it doesn't work, call and make the appt 2. Which carrier? I've done 4 months, but I am sure some want 90 days. Its a carrier specific question. (And the answer may change by Sept)
The only circumstances where I have had clients unable to enroll online is if they were born outside the country and needed to prove legal status, or did not have enough credits to qualify for Medicare and needed to prove their marriage in order to qualify under the spouse's earnings.

I have submitted Aetna up to six months prior to effective date.

Back