Is There Any Hope for this Guy?

TN_agent

Guru
100+ Post Club
Currently dual-eligible on Tenncare (TN Medicaid)/Medicare.

Is ESRD, disabled, 40 years old. Been on Medicare for 4 years.

Losing his Tenncare. Not sure why, but has been notified it is ending 5/31/16.

Anyone know if this is a GI for a medigap in TN? I have been trying to find out, but people at Tenncare is not helpful and it is not mentioned as a GI in choosing a medigap booklet so I am leaning towards no GI. ESRD, so no MAPD available.

Is this guy screwed?

Anyone know if this is a GI for a medigap in TN? I have been trying to find out, but people at Tenncare is not helpful and it is not mentioned as a GI in choosing a medigap booklet so I am leaning towards no GI. ESRD, so no MAPD available.

Is this guy screwed?

Most companies only write U65 supplements during the 1st 6 months on Part B. I can't imagine that any that would underwrite after 6 months would take him. I'd start calling the Med Supp companies and see if any of them will take him GI, because I think that's his only hope for a supplement.

Is this guy screwed?

Losing his Tenncare. Not sure why

Did he suddenly come in to extra money? Or is it just expiring and he needs to re-apply?

I'm not in TN, so I'm not familiar with how they work there, but in OH these sorts of letters are not uncommon. Often, it's just some sort of renewal for medicaid required...

I got clarification, it is something to do with income. He apparently works a little bit.

Does TN allow him to do a spend down? I had a dual that had to send the State around $100 a month to keep her income down to qualify as a dual.

This is CA rules so may not apply.

Regardless of OE or GI, U65 with ESRD are not eligible for supplements. And of course it's also a knock out for MA.

So yes, this guy is apparently screwed.

Rick

If working a little bit is what is messing up his eligibility then he needs to STOP WORKING. Sad as it is to say, sometime it does more harm than good.

I am checking on the spend down, but again, TNcare is completely unhelpful in all circumstances. Beyond pulling teeth to get answers, even with the bene on the phone. They can only say "submit an app, we will see what happens", they can't answer any theoretical questions AT ALL.

The job isn't worth losing medicaid, I don't think he realizes how much his medical care costs since he has been getting it for free all this time.

Not in TN, but other states, Blue Cross tends to take anybody, especially if he has a letter that he has involuntarily lost his other coverage.

Back