Is There a Cheap Medigap Supp Plan A for U65 in Texas?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
A client's wife is U65 who just started Medicare A & B this month (June) is asking for a Med Supp (no Med Advantage). So far, all I've found is a Manhattan Life that is about $311/month. That's not really a bargain, but seems to be the most reasonable that I've found so far. Any suggestions?

A client's wife is U65 who just started Medicare A & B this month (June) is asking for a Med Supp (no Med Advantage). So far, all I've found is a Manhattan Life that is about $311/month. That's not really a bargain, but seems to be the most reasonable that I've found so far. Any suggestions?

Is the one for Manhattan a Plan A? If so, yep, not a very good deal. MA Plan is probably the better fit here.

Is the one for Manhattan a Plan A? If so, yep, not a very good deal. MA Plan is probably the better fit here.

ONLY Plan A is available for U65 is available in my state. If the Med Supp company offers it at all, it is very expensive! She does not want Med Advantage since she told me that MAs won't cover her required procedure. I think that it might be a feminine issue, so I'm hesitant to ask what the procedure is. She's a smart cookie, not like a lot of the dummies that I encounter.

When I looked at CSG Actuarial I did see that it kept quoting Kemper (Reserve Nat'l) for plans other than A. Although expensive, you may want to check in on that.

She does not want Med Advantage since she told me that MAs won't cover her required procedure.

What procedure is covered by Medicare but not MA?

I think that it might be a feminine issue, so I'm hesitant to ask

Don't be timid. Ask.

I would be curious to know what is covered by Mcare but not MA.

ONLY Plan A is available for U65 is available in my state. If the Med Supp company offers it at all, it is very expensive! She does not want Med Advantage since she told me that MAs won't cover her required procedure. I think that it might be a feminine issue, so I'm hesitant to ask what the procedure is. She's a smart cookie, not like a lot of the dummies that I encounter.

refer her to page 83 of medicare and you. tell her that in fact MA plans are often more generous on women's preventive services than original medicare.of course if she already knows it all it may be a waste of time.

"Medicare Advantage Plans cover all Medicare
Part A and Part B services " page 83

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/10050.pdf

UHC is also at $300ish a month for U65 Plan A in TX.

(I got frustrated with the calling of random carriers just to be helpful on something I wasn't going to get paid on, anyway. Call UHC with the client, it takes 15 minutes and you are done. The other Med Supp carriers have no idea what to do with a U65)

And yo...it doesn't matter what's covered if you can't find a doc to take your MAPD or a hospital that will admit you...

At $300+/month for Plan A, I would be inclined to tell the client to skip a Medicare supplement. Or, look at a MA if available.

When I looked at CSG Actuarial I did see that it kept quoting Kemper (Reserve Nat'l) for plans other than A. Although expensive, you may want to check in on that.

I am dealing with a similar situation to wehotex. Called reserve national a couple weeks ago because i was getting the same results on CSG. Reserve national says they are captive and they only offer Plan A for U65 (i was specifically asking about oklahoma). Whoever I talked to didnt know what CSG was. They said they'd have an agent call me, Im still waiting...

Back