Turning Part B on After Turning 65

Interesting timeline info, thanks. Apparently some exceptions.
I just worked with a client that enrolled online 2nd week of May, T65 in 1st week of May. Dropping group coverage 6/1/2015.
Medicare card arrived a couple weeks later, effective date for A&B is 5/1/2015. Not what was expected. They actually waited until after 5/1 to enroll online, thinking that the Medicare effective date would be 6/1/2015.
I wonder if Medicare would move the Medicare B effective date to 6/1/2015 to avoid paying for May while covered on group.

----------

Updating old thread .......

Looks like form L-564 has been updated from the one offered in post #4

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/Downloads/CMS-L564E.pdf

Now it's a fillable pdf, pretty great. Used it a couple months ago.

If they are drawing retirement benefits that is why they got the May 1st date. If not, they elected the default date when applying online. There is a window you can add comments. I type in ALL CAPS: I WANT MY PART B EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2015.... THAT IS 6/1/15, THANK YOU!

They can call SS and have it turned off and back on... might be more of a PITA than $105 is worth.

And yet another variation .........

Prospect turned 65 in Nov 2013. Signed up for A & B even though he was covered under his wife's group plan as a dependent.

Last year he dropped Part B since the group plan was primary.

Now his wife is retiring in July and he want's to "re-start" Part B due to loss of group coverage.

Is this an SEP or does he have to wait until next year and sign up during the general election period?

If the SEP applies and his Part B is effective 8/1/15 does that create a new IEP for him or will the Medigap carrier consider him guaranteed issue?

How will the carrier know that he had B before, then dropped it, then started it up again? His new Medicare card will show an 8/1/15 eff date.

If they are drawing retirement benefits that is why they got the May 1st date. If not, they elected the default date when applying online. There is a window you can add comments. I type in ALL CAPS: I WANT MY PART B EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2015.... THAT IS 6/1/15, THANK YOU!

They can call SS and have it turned off and back on... might be more of a PITA than $105 is worth.

Yes, I agree. Thanks for the suggestion about making sure desired effective date is assigned. The reason in this case for switching while still employed is to get a Plan F for big bills coming. So the hassle and worry of switching the date against the $105 isn't worth it.

Next question, it occurs to me they could give the Medicare # to the providers for the large medical bills incurred in May, right? Medicare would be secondary payer, but probably would help with their out of pocket. Make lemonade out of the "glitch", actually.

Last edited:
If the SEP applies and his Part B is effective 8/1/15 does that create a new IEP for him or will the Medigap carrier consider him guaranteed issue?

If his new card shows a new Part B effective date, another question is won't he be in his Medigap Open Enrollment period too? GI would let him get Plan F, but OE lets him get Plan G or N with no questions asked. I'm not sure if he would be OE if he already had Part B for 6 months before he turned it off last year though. I've come across a situation or 2 like this in the past and didn't have a good answer.

If his new card shows a new Part B effective date, another question is won't he be in his Medigap Open Enrollment period too? GI would let him get Plan F, but OE lets him get Plan G or N with no questions asked. I'm not sure if he would be OE if he already had Part B for 6 months before he turned it off last year though. I've come across a situation or 2 like this in the past and didn't have a good answer.

He can get plan F& N GI with Oxford

Back