UHC Changes to Commission Payments

Im a FE agent starting MA & MS this yr....this will really suck for me!! I hope I can get some T65 & SEP apps in there to hold em over til Jan. I was planning on doing MA/MS exclusively for those 7 weeks, looks like Ill need to do FE too now! Just my luck!

Does this also mean, policies written after Dec 2014, regardless of rather its IEP, SEP, or AEP will not be paid til effective date? Im new to all this.

Last edited:
Im a FE agent starting MA & MS this yr....this will really suck for me!! I hope I can get some T65 & SEP apps in there to hold em over til Jan. I was planning on doing MA/MS exclusively for those 7 weeks, looks like Ill need to do FE too now! Just my luck!

Does this also mean, policies written after Dec 2014, regardless of rather its IEP, SEP, or AEP will not be paid til effective date? Im new to all this.

It means MA plans effective 2015 cannot be paid before 2015
I do believe a April first effective can be paid in Jan( I could be wrong on this)

However these rules do not appy to Med Supp

I have been selling Medicare advantage plans for two years now and have always gotten paid 408 for new to mapd plans when I change someone from a pdp plan. This month I only received 102 for all of the apps that I submitted with a 10/01/2015 effective date that were new to a mapd plan. After calling the carrier I was told that they have changed the way that commissions are being paid on new to mapd plans and prorating the 408 for how many months the member is enrolled in the plan per calendar year. So basically 408 divided by 12 times 3 equals 102. The problem is they never notified me to let me know about the change and I was expecting a 5k commission statement and only received 1400. They said that they have been paying incorrectly for years and are just now paying the right way because Cms has changed their language on how commissions should be paid out. What I want to know is if this is changing for all carriers or is it just this one carrier and can they do that without warning us.

I don't want you to become discouraged. Even a new agent like you has a chance of a good career.

Rick

Don't tell them this Rick..... Its impossible for anyone except "old dogs" with huge BOB to support us. :1laugh:

----------

well that sux. I only got about a year's worth of renewals built up at this point. Better break out the ramon noodles...

No worry's axeman... Hilliary will save you.

----------

I have been selling Medicare advantage plans for two years now and have always gotten paid 408 for new to mapd plans when I change someone from a pdp plan. This month I only received 102 for all of the apps that I submitted with a 10/01/2015 effective date that were new to a mapd plan. After calling the carrier I was told that they have changed the way that commissions are being paid on new to mapd plans and prorating the 408 for how many months the member is enrolled in the plan per calendar year. So basically 408 divided by 12 times 3 equals 102. The problem is they never notified me to let me know about the change and I was expecting a 5k commission statement and only received 1400. They said that they have been paying incorrectly for years and are just now paying the right way because Cms has changed their language on how commissions should be paid out. What I want to know is if this is changing for all carriers or is it just this one carrier and can they do that without warning us.
Expect from all MAPD/PDP Plans.

That explains why I only got 102 for my app effective 10/01, new to mapd. I figured UHC would get me the rest soon, but i guess i figured wrong.

They said they have been paying incorrectly? Thats not true, the AHIP clearly states that its up to each individual company to decide which way they are paying it, prorated or lump sum. I liked UHC bc they paid the lump sum, that pisses me off that they changed it without telling us. I dont want to write them anymore just bc of this, bcbs has a competitive plan in this market, perhaps Ill just use them as my go to.

I have heard that UHC has lost a lot of business across the country in the past couple seasons, so Im sure they are just looking for ways to cut back, but the least they could do is let us know, rather than letting us figure it out when when dont get paid.

UHC was the only company still paying me that way. I haven't seen my payment for this month yet. It does suck because you won't get the full $400. Watch. You get $100 now and then in January you'll get $17.xx per month

UHC was the only company still paying me that way. I haven't seen my payment for this month yet. It does suck because you won't get the full $400. Watch. You get $100 now and then in January you'll get $17.xx per month

Yep. I called the PHD today to try to get an answer. She knew exactly what i was calling about when I mentioned it, she said she was given instruction to "escalate" the issue to her superior. She said medicare made them change it, and they made them do it sometime in the past month. She said I would be contacted in the next 3 days with a response.

Either way, it just sucks. I mean if I sell any t65 business that is effective nov 1 or dec 1, then i just get ripped off. Anyhow, does no good to wine and complain, just not as exciting to sell a first timer as it used to be.

Latest posts

Back