UHC Med Supp Rate Question -- Tennessee

Bob L

Guru
100+ Post Club
Tennessee
Hi, Folks.

This is the first time I have had a seemingly contradictory issue with UnitedHealthcare come up and humbly seek your help.

My client is age 66 and I signed him up with Family Life last year, and he's squawking because of their big rate increase for '13. He has some significant health issues that will require "yes" answers in section 6, but is OK for the knockout questions in section 5. He's been disabled for a number of years and enrolled in Part B back in '09, more than three years ago. The AARP Med supp would give him a lower rate and more price stability, and his health precludes applying with any other carrier I know of.

He would answer "no" to everything in section 3, which sends him into the medical questions of sections 5 and 6. He sails through section 5 with no problems.

Now here comes my question. The header for section 6, which is the rating section (not eligibility) says to complete this section only if you enrolled in Part B three or more years ago. He did. It does NOT give an exception for people 65-67. Then, at the end of section 6, there's a bold print note saying that if you answered "yes" for any of the questions, your rate will be level 2 (higher).

That sends me to the rate sheet. Group 1 applies to applicants "whose plan effective dates will be within three years following their 65th birthday or Medicare Part B effective date, if later." He satisfies the first condition but not the second, but since the conjunction "or" separates the two, it follows that we use the Group 1 rates.

I am thinking that the bold print notice at the top of application section 6 should have indicated to complete that section if you enrolled in Part B three or more years ago OR are age 68 or higher. But it does not say that, and if you go by the application, you must use Level 2 rates for this client. Problem is, they don't exist.

I cannot be the first one who's ever noticed this. Am I missing something? My thought is to ignore the bold print notice and quote the rates in Group 1. Do you more experienced UHC agents agree?

Last edited:
The "or" you're looking for is not on the application but check the Producer Guide for your state. I don't have TN but it should be the same as the states I have which say "Time since 65th birthday or Part B Effective Date, if later" (my emphasis).

Part B effective date being earlier than 65th bday is irrelevant.

The "or" you're looking for is not on the application but check the Producer Guide for your state. I don't have TN but it should be the same as the states I have which say "Time since 65th birthday or Part B Effective Date, if later" (my emphasis).

Part B effective date being earlier than 65th bday is irrelevant.

Thank you AllGold -- after I posted, I took another look at the price lists and realized that Group 1 is the only list that shows any premiums for 66-year-olds, so the questions in Section 6 cannot matter.

They could not have made that issue more confusing if they tried!

Latest posts

Back