UHC - Producers Help Desk

Norwayguy

I have spent way too much time here.
5000 Post Club
Norway, ME
Is it just me or does anyone else think United Health Care has misnamed their agent line...I only deal with UHC for AARP Med Sups its a necessary evil in my area and I made 3 calls today concerning one client each and every call was frustrating, the phone reps are rude and provide as little as possible.....Oh and they lie. But other than that the Producers Help desk is....oh yeah lets not forget the massive hold times during AEP....Is there ever a time when the Producers Help Desk really helps producers?

Sorry for the above I guess it was time for my 3 month rant on UHC.

I rarely ever have an issue with them. It does take longer during AEP, but I haven't had any problems.

For most carriers, the customer "help" line is even more frustrating and the information provided is totally useless and inaccurate.

During one of my calls I gave them the members number and date of birth and they said they couldn't find anything....I asked them to repeat the info back to me and they refused saying they were capable of hearing me fine...I then gave them the info again and they said just cause you tell me twice won't change anything...I was on the road and it was possible that I had written the info down wrong so I had to wait 4 hours until I was back in the office and was able to look up the information and low and behold I had the information right. So I then placed another call to the PHD and can you believe it I got the same person as soon as I gave them my agent number they had the nerve to say oh you again did you find your mistake yet.

The only mistake was placing them with the best value for their premium dollar AARP knowing that service on my end was the worst of any company I deal with...This medsupp has only been in force since Feb...I wrote it in Dec and between UHC and AARP they are constantly sending the client letters or calling them to make changes....This last change they wanted to make was to combine two people onto one membership number for a 5% discount, the issue being the premiums would have to come out of 1 bank account....Now with most companies they would contact the agent to point out the 5% discount the client was missing out on at which point I would have been able to inform them that the clients didn't care about the discount and wanted their finances seperate....Now my client screwed up too because he called AARP/UHC first when he received the letter instead of calling me and he was informed that even though the letter said he "could" combine the accounts he tells me the customer service rep said it had already been completed which is how I got the angry phone call from the client.

They switched one of my clients at renewal (under 65 major med) from a full HSA to one that did not have Rx coverage and never bothered to tell him not only was Rx not covered but no discounts either.

They also put the entire family through underwriting, even though it was a reduction in benefits, and denied coverage to one of his daughters on the basis of a pre-ex condition that began long after the original policy was issued.

When I confronted them about this, they denied doing anything wrong.

Took several weeks to unwind the problem they created and get the daughter reinstated.

Maybe post a complaint with NAIC? Some of these problems seem related to the fact that they have horrible customer service, and the other part seems that they are actually losing and or mishandling your clients information.....

The worst thing during AEP they actually turn off their phones from 10AM-11:30AM for training!! I need to talk to them during the day. Perhaps they could train at night! This contributes to long wait times. I have to work around when they will even answer the phone.

Luckily I have a direct # to someone who helps me with all UHC med supps only. She is very nice and always helps me with no problems.

Now, when I call for MAPD's...thats a different outcome

I used to call and now I always just email them any issues [email protected]

1. It puts everything in writing (no misunderstandings)
2. I don't have to wait on hold (time is money)
3. They normally respond within a day
4. Their response is in writing so you have a record of it and you can hold them to account if need be down the road. (no he said she said)

I think you'll be satisfied once you use the email...

If you sell somebody a Med Supp from AARP UHC will call them before AEP and try to have them switch to an MAPD. There focus is on MAPD and they will pay you twice the commission if you sell one vs a Med Supp. It is all about the money and there getting a lot of it from medicare when they have someone on a MDPD.

Back