Under 65 on Medicare with Advantage Plan

charleszubrod

Expert
I have an individual who signed up for a Medadvantage Plan effective 1-1-2014. She turned 65 in June and does not like her current plan due to out of pocket (she has significant health issues). Since she is still in her IOE, can I transfer her to Medicare Supplement?
In advance, thank you for comments and guidance.

I have an individual who signed up for a Medadvantage Plan effective 1-1-2014. She turned 65 in June and does not like her current plan due to out of pocket (she has significant health issues). Since she is still in her IOE, can I transfer her to Medicare Supplement? In advance, thank you for comments and guidance.

Look up an election period booklet to see. Many carriers have them for agent use.

Not trying to be a pain, or unhelpful, but get used to referencing the guides. It will help you.

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

Yes she will still qualify for her open enrollment.

■■The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your Medigap Open
Enrollment Period. This 6-month period begins on the first day of the
month in which you’re 65 or older and enrolled in Part B. (Some states
have additional open enrollment periods.) After this enrollment period,
your option to buy a Medigap policy may be limited and it may cost
more.

Yes she will still qualify for her open enrollment.

■■The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your Medigap Open
Enrollment Period. This 6-month period begins on the first day of the
month in which you’re 65 or older and enrolled in Part B. (Some states
have additional open enrollment periods.) After this enrollment period,
your option to buy a Medigap policy may be limited and it may cost
more.

^ Proof that you should look in an election guide - Taz only gave a partial answer.

You may not have a ton of time to do this (depending on details of her situation)...since she needs to dis-enroll from the MAPD and that can only be done a few ways, and your time frame may be shorter than 6 months...

I have an individual who signed up for a Medadvantage Plan effective 1-1-2014. She turned 65 in June and does not like her current plan due to out of pocket (she has significant health issues). Since she is still in her IOE, can I transfer her to Medicare Supplement?
In advance, thank you for comments and guidance.

She still has GI for Med supp but her SEP for turning ,that would have allowed to switch MA or enroll in part D , expired 9/1/14. In addition she is not eligible for the 1 year trial period since she wasn't 65 when she initially enrolled in in part B and the MA.I imagine she might get upset when she finds this out especially if her agent indicated she had a trial period when they enrolled her for 1/1/14

----------

I misread. Nvm. .......

----------

She still has GI for Med supp but her SEP for turning ,that would have allowed to switch MA or enroll in part D , expired 9/1/14. In addition she is not eligible for the 1 year trial period since she wasn't 65 when she initially enrolled in in part B and the MA.I imagine she might get upset when she finds this out especially if her agent indicated she had a trial period when they enrolled her for 1/1/14

She has all of September to exercise her IEP2.

The fact that she is on an MA plan is irrelevant to her open enrollment to a Med Supp. When she chooses a PDP plan to go with the Med Supp it will automatically disenroll her from the MA plan. Her open enrollment period starts with the month she turns 65 and goes for 6 months.

Just remember, when a client turns 65 it's a whole new ballgame!

The fact that she is on an MA plan is irrelevant to her open enrollment to a Med Supp. When she chooses a PDP plan to go with the Med Supp it will automatically disenroll her from the MA plan. Her open enrollment period starts with the month she turns 65 and goes for 6 months.

Irrelevant unless a person can't get off the MA within the 6 months GI period.If this prospect had t65 in May she would be past the IEP2 window and the AEP effective date of 1/1/15 would be past the 6 month GI period.Can't sell a Med supp to a person enrolled in an MA plan when the Med supp goes in to effect - well you can if you don't mind losing your licence.I

After further review in this case because she T65 in June she has the rest of the month to use her IEP2 but she would have been SOL if she T65 in May

Irrelevant unless a person can't get off the MA within the 6 months GI period.If this prospect had t65 in May she would be past the IEP2 window and the AEP effective date of 1/1/15 would be past the 6 month GI period.Can't sell a Med supp to a person enrolled in an MA plan when the Med supp goes in to effect - well you can if you don't mind losing your licence.I

After further review in this case because she T65 in June she has the rest of the month to use her IEP2 but she would have been SOL if she T65 in May

Exactly. Sept is her last month for IEP2. Her only other option is an SEP after this month.

6 Month Open Enrollment is actually less important than the short IEP2 for her PDP to get her out of her MAPD. Unless, of course, she qualifies for a different SEP.

She does get a new open enrollment. California (and maybe other states) do the 6 month OEP. Federal is the same as just T65.

I don't know how an IMO can keep up!

Rick

Back