United American Medicare Supplement

I never present more than one med supp. I take the clients information, apply it my various med supp, and select the best single option.
If you start showing more that one med supp, your client will have the, "deer in the headlight" look.

I never present more than one med supp. I take the clients information, apply it my various med supp, and select the best single option.
If you start showing more that one med supp, your client will have the, "deer in the headlight" look.

I understand your point DS. I try not to overwhelm them.

I generally make sure they understand the plans first without ever bringing in a company or rates. Help them figure out which plan suits them most between F, G & N strictly based on benefit structure. One they realize Plan G is their best option I present them with the "3 best companies" in their area based on premium, company rating, and history. I circle one and explain why I think this is the best fit.

I've had clients ask me, "If you think that one is best; why do you list the other companies?" For comparison purposes. So you know where you stand and what's available. They thank me for being honest and sign an app. I used to have a copy of State Farm's rates from a buddy of mine. They were grossly overpriced. I would use them as an example that being informed prevents paying this price for the same jug of milk.

As I'm sure we're all aware... there really is no right or wrong way. Different things work for different people.

For example one of Frank's (I think) lead-in's from a script of his I once saw was... "You do have a Medicare Supplement right?" That question must come across wrong when I ask it, because the conversation never seems to go well from there. Lol.

Last edited:
Frank I think I asked you this before but...

Are you still pushing D over G? I tend to push G more now than I used to since they've elevated the excess charges.

I'm guessing that more doctors will quit accepting assignment, due to lowered reimbursements.

Yes I am, D is my preferred plan to offer, has been for 17 years and still is when there is enough savings over a Plan F. Plan G is as good as D especially if a D is not offered by a company.

I really don't see that happening, doctors not accepting assignment. Reimbursements have not been lowered. There has been talk about that for years. Medicare has put protocols in place for doctors to actually make more money when treating patients.

If doctors stop accepting assignment they have to start sending bills and worry about late pays and those who don't pay.

The small amount of additional money they receive really isn't worth the gamble to them. That's why so many started accepting assignment when the law changed in the mid 90's.

I don't lay them all out on paper either, but I do tell them the rates of a couple of the most competitive carriers. I tell them why I'm recommending a specific carrier (this carrier has the lowest rates in the state). I want them to know I am looking out for their best interest. When they don't know you from Adam, it's good that they see you as the person whose goal is to get them the best plan and not just being a quick hit artist.

The problem with jacob is that he is on record as stating he does what's best for him, not the client. So for him to call someone an *** for the way they do business, well...

The way you described is exactly how I sell. Funny you basically agreed with me, even though you won't admit it.

If a doctor gave you 5 different prescription options, what would you say? you wouldn't have a clue because you aren't a doctor.

We are the "experts". the clients are clueless and need advice! If they are type II diabetics and had a heart attack 6 yrs ago, they don't know that they don't qualify for any of the "mutual" carriers (Gerber/MOO/Assured Life/etc). They don't know the difference between attained age and issue age. They don't know the difference between part B of Medicare and Plan B Med Supp. Hell, most don't know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid!

When I meet with someone, I decide what company to show based on:

#1 what do they have now?
#2 what is their health? Do they have GI options?
#3 What are their current health care costs, and what can afford?
#4. What would be better for them than they have now, based on the info learned?
#5 What will my commission be? :laugh: That was for SMAN. Kidding on that last one!

Well, sort of! If they don't qualify for the plan I wrote I make ZERO, so you need to know what you're doing! Also, I won't write New Era if it is a GI situation, because they only pay $25. Sorry I have a wife who stays at home with 2 kids, and they count on me for support.

I have written for 5 different carriers in one day before. all of them had specific needs, and all of them were different. I will NOT ask them to "choose" a company. That is ridiculous. If they are in perfect health and could take any plan, I will still show them ONE company.

I do, however, make the point that I can write ANY plan in the state, but are making a recommendation based on what they have told me.

I think I've made it quite clear the issues I have with you. And I doubt very seriously we sell the same way. I will ALWAYS do what is best for the client. You've made very clear that is not your primary goal.

I go into a home not sure if the client needs a MAPD or med supp. But, if I determine that a med supp is best for them I already know which one I'm showing them.

Just before presenting the company I explain how supplements are standardized. If they don't like my recommendation I brung up the next company.

I think most people do it this way.

Many excellent points here. Seems most of us do what is best for the client first.

In this particular case, I knew I was going in where the client already had a med supp so I could not have done MAPD anyway. Was with Guar. Life and written in Maryland, Plan D, several years ago. Plan was going up $80 month on husband and wife together. They were in good health so there were no underwriting issues to be considered.

As to offering different plans, normally there is so little difference between the plans cost wise, I typically offer Plan F when I can. I am not laying out different plans for them to consider - I know that would confuse them. I was able to offer them Plan F with Gerber at the same cost they were currently paying. The reason I show the other carriers is to show the difference in premiums for the same coverage. They were very happy to continue paying what they were accustomed to and having better coverage. This couple was a referral that called me.

I never offer a client a choice on FE. I present the best one according to their qualifications.

I am also in Florida.
In regards to bc, i called them to sell the supplements they offer and they told me its a captive contract. Are YOU captive with them or is this new? (Just wondering if ya know this answer)
thanks

You can get appointed with them but they have rules.

First right of refusal or something like that. You can't offer or show anyone elses prices until they have seen Bcbs product and they refuse it.

Latest posts

Back