Unitedhealthcare Independent Career Agent Questions

As a ICA, you are not "Captive" at any time. They do not want you to use their "lead" to sell a competitors product. In my area of TN I have developed a market year round in SEP ,mostly by helping low income prospects. And these people need the help. Please don't take advantage of this population, they have enough problems.

ICA has been very good for my business.

my ica contract says i cannot sell any advantage plan or drug card but theres. The leads are far and few between in my area, corporate definately has its favorites on who gets lead also, is it a good living? only if you find your own business and use the lead system to fill in the holes. ex: i have received 4 leads since January and I write a lot of business.

I know this is an old thread, but can anyone comment on independent UHC agents today? How are they doing in Central Fl / Tampa Bay Area in particular ?

Med supps are the lowest price with UHC in the area and their MAPD plans are so-so

I have been an ICA for a number of years. I have seen the lead flow come to nearly nothing. Most leads are enrolled telephonically by telesales agents, who are employees. Those leads that are passed on to ICA's are those that need work i.e don't have part b, or looking for information, current members with questions who want somebody to see them, etc. If I get 10 leads, 7-8 will be trash.

I have been an ICA for a number of years. I have seen the lead flow come to nearly nothing. Most leads are enrolled telephonically by telesales agents, who are employees. Those leads that are passed on to ICA's are those that need work i.e don't have part b, or looking for information, current members with questions who want somebody to see them, etc. If I get 10 leads, 7-8 will be trash.

Thanks for that info!

This confirms my suspicions in the first place about the ICA program. I have no respect for the ICA Sales managers that misrepresent the program.

Last edited:
yep, you are correct, i am an ica and have received crap for leads, its frustrating

yep, you are correct, i am an ica and have received crap for leads, its frustrating

There was an ICA Manager, she was out of Sacramento, CA, I believe, can't remember her name, I think Rachel. I'd love for someone to post info about her, she told me a lot of BS.

Why not just say, we probably won't give you many leads, but we would like you on standby to work anything we can't easily write in-house. Also in case we don't have enough agents, you might get a few, but don't expect much. We think we offer good support. We can't say its better than an FMO, but you can try us and if you don't like, you can have a release.

I know thats not as good as 60K to 140K a year, free leads from our call center, training, yada, yada, yada.

Last edited:
QUOTE-
'Why not just say, we probably won't give you many leads, but we would like you on standby to work anything we can't easily write in-house. Also in case we don't have enough agents, you might get a few, but don't expect much. We think we offer good support. We can't say its better than an FMO, but you can try us and if you don't like, you can have a release.'

I don't know why people sell for UHC at all. They are numbers oriented and that's it. Commissions generally lower (on the supps I've seen) and in my experience I have been lied to by their representatives on numberous occasions. I do not trust them.

We sell them because who in there right mind is going to buy an advantage plan that doesn't have a good network like uhc does? Who is going to pay 30 bucks more a month for a med sup other then uhc?
If its what the customer wants it what you give the customer.

We sell them because who in there right mind is going to buy an advantage plan that doesn't have a good network like uhc does? Who is going to pay 30 bucks more a month for a med sup other then uhc?
If its what the customer wants it what you give the customer.

Every person has to draw their own line that they won't cross. What if a person wants Humana? I won't sell it.

I refuse to represent Humana or anything AARP/UHC/SH or whatever name they have this month. Those companies are actively working against the independent agent.

I sure as hell won't help them. So, if a client wants that garbage they will have to go a garbage collector to get it.

UHC pushes the ICA program, especiallly during AEP because they want you to work their retail program. They expect you to sit at a walgreens/cvs/target or whatever chain in your area and hustle business. You don't cost them any money. They advertise heavily during AEP and will do everyting in their power to enroll over the phone by their insidsales reps....all while you are sitting at a kiosk at walgreens/target, or you name the place waiting for someone to approach you. The ICA is a great program for UHC, not for the agent. Not anymore...

Back