Unitedhealthcare Independent Career Agent Questions

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
I was considering adding Medicare Supplement and/or MA to what I do if it makes sense. I am in an area where many seniors have Kaiser a big HMO. I was considering working as an “Independent Career Agent” (ICA) with United Healthcare (UHC) versus being independent.

I have a few questions about doing this:
  • As an ICA with UHC do they really give you enough leads? (if so, how do they generate them?)
  • What will be the likely product mix that I will mainly sell under the UHC ICA system? (ex. 80% MA, 20% med supp.?)
  • Is the UHC ICA system good or would I be better off independent?
  • Can you sell many annuities to MA prospects, or do they mainly not have enough money?
  • Would I be better off and/or make more $ by staying away from MA and doing Medicare supplement as the “door opener” to an annuity/LTC/Life sale?
  • If I'm independent, what ages and mail pieces work good? ( I am always told turning 65 leads are best, but they are limited to about 500 to 1,000 names in my area, so what else works?)
Thanks!

Last edited:
  • As an ICA with UHC do they really give you enough leads to make 40K to 75K? (if so, how do they generate them?)
UHC focuses their marketing almost solely on AEP with MA and MAPD. I joined them last year, but in the middle of AEP, so I missed out on most of the leads. The others in my ICA group got around 100 leads. The leads are mainly created through AARP ads. People send in a request for more information. They send the cards in, and you are given their information, then you call to set an appointment. I probably set 9 out of 10 leads, closed 85-90% of those. So yes, you do get enough leads to make $40-75k, depending on how good you are at getting referrals.
  • What will be the likely product mix that I will mainly sell under the UHC ICA system? (ex. 80% MA, 20% med supp.?)
Like I said above, they focus most if not all of their marketing dollars on MA/MAPD for AEP. Everything else will be whatever business you drum up. From their leads, I sold one Med Supp. Most of the leads specifically wanted MAPD.
  • Is the UHC ICA system good or would I be better off independent?
If you want medsup, you would be better off independent as their marketing focuses on MA/MAPD. You would have to buy your own calling lists, whether you are independent or an ICA. If you want a boost to your income at the end of the year, go with the ICA as they are the only ones that get the leads.
  • Will I be able to sell many annuities under the UHC ICA system? (I am not captive for other products they don’t sell, according to what they tell me)
The laws regarding cross selling are very stringent. I will leave the details of this to someone that knows the laws better. I think you are better off not trying to cross sell, at least not right away.
  • Can you sell many annuities to MA prospects, or do they mainly not have enough money?
I have sold MA products to those that have a lot of money, and to those that are very poor.
  • Would I be better off and/or make more $ by staying away from MA and doing Medicare supplement as the “door opener” to an annuity/LTC/Life sale?
If you really want to cross sell, it may be best to stay away from MA, but I could be wrong. I know you can cross sell anything you want right after closing on the Med Supp. You can also cold call on Med Supps, where you can't with MA products. The marketing laws surrounding MA are very strict and limiting. Selling MA all year can be very difficult, where Med Supps are much easier.
  • If I'm independent, what ages and mail pieces work good? ( I am always told turning 65 leads are best, but they are limited to about 500 to 1,000 names in my area, so what else works?)
T65 is really good for Med Supps, they are no good for MA since you can't cold call. Lists for those over the age of 65 are also good, if you know how to use the phone; I would suspect Frank would agree with me.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks Tim!

That was very helpful. It sounds like you can boost income at the end of the year but wondering if the rest of the year might be better off independent.

1. Is having UHC med supplement plans enough or would a person need more than that?

2. If you need more, can a person be an ICA during AEP/OEP and rest of year be independent?

Thanks!

As a ICA, you are not "Captive" at any time. They do not want you to use their "lead" to sell a competitors product. In my area of TN I have developed a market year round in SEP ,mostly by helping low income prospects. And these people need the help. Please don't take advantage of this population, they have enough problems.

ICA has been very good for my business.

Thanks Tim!

That was very helpful. It sounds like you can boost income at the end of the year but wondering if the rest of the year might be better off independent.

1. Is having UHC med supplement plans enough or would a person need more than that?

2. If you need more, can a person be an ICA during AEP/OEP and rest of year be independent?

Thanks!
Having UHC Med Supp is a good policy to have, if you come across someone with some health problems, but I don't know very many people that only have one company. Personally, I have three, but use one primarily. It has a lot to do with underwriting and where you do business. I am licensed in more than one state and rates vary from state to state, so one company may have better rates in one state but not the other.

As for your second question, that is exactly what I do. Email me and I can go into detail as to what I am doing currently.

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. Kenneth how do you prospect for SEP. Is there a particular mailer that works?

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. Kenneth how do you prospect for SEP. Is there a particular mailer that works?

Thanks!

I don't know your product line out there... I work community events... develop a trust with program coordinators.. low income housing, community groups. MAPD $0 premium.90%.

You have to learn "EVERY THING" about the product and what qualifications for low income help. Grow into the trusted "Expert."

Do community events.

Earn the trust.

I have never used mailers.

That is a start..... BTW... Have fun and preform! :1cool:

Hello,

Thanks!

great questions - tough to be successful in the senior market for the moment but will get really good soon. they key is to be independant, with several individual and group health and life products, final expense, LTC, MA's, medd supps, fixed annuities and a great referral bonus paid by your local small P&C shop.

it is a great thing to go into a home where an insurance agent has just sold an MA or medd supp and left all the other money on the table because they were either captive or had a single product....not to mention were buying their own leads. contact me at [email protected] and we can discuss it further

I don't know your product line out there... I work community events... develop a trust with program coordinators.. low income housing, community groups. MAPD $0 premium.90%.

You have to learn "EVERY THING" about the product and what qualifications for low income help. Grow into the trusted "Expert."

Do community events.

Earn the trust.

I have never used mailers.

That is a start..... BTW... Have fun and preform! :1cool:

Great advice. I agree, an agent needs to be the local expert, and really know his stuff.

How do you go about locating community events?

How would you recommend starting a relationship with these community coordinators?

I know this is an old thread, but can anyone comment on independent UHC agents today? How are they doing in Central Fl / Tampa Bay Area in particular ?

Back