Using Good Rx + Pdp or MAPD

When you use the Part D (or any insurance plan), the pharmacy charges you the contracted rate.

So if the contracted rate for Humulin is $158 under Part D, $158 is going towards the donut hole.

If the Good RX rate at Walmart is $20, you pay the $20. But it can't go through the Part D plan.

(BTW...for anyone who reads this later. Humulin and Novolin ARE $20 at any Walmart, with or without Good RX. These 2 meds should never be ran through a Part D)

Well said and spot on . . .

The implication of that message being that:
In addition to looking at a discount card like goodrx, a prospect or prospect's agent should also be checking Walmart's cash drug prices against one's needed medication list?

PDP / Drugs pain in the ass. Amtrak has the right idea - sub PDP out to Ritter and forget about it . . .

The implication of that message being that:
In addition to looking at a discount card like goodrx, a prospect or prospect's agent should also be checking Walmart's cash drug prices against one's needed medication list?

The price comes up at Good Rx, too :)

IMO, if a client is hitting the donut hole, doing some research at goodrx, switching pharmacies at medicare.gov, etc. is just good service.

After years of avoiding discount Rx plans I finally decided to take a look at GoodRx. Before that I referred people to NeedyMeds and suggested they use that Rx program.

Hands down, GoodRx beats anything else I have seen for ease of use and value. I don't get paid to promote GoodRx but that doesn't matter as much as the good will that comes back from recommending them.

Like KG, I spend a lot of time, sometimes I think too much, trying to find ways to save my clients money. GoodRx is just one example. Another is buying drugs from Canada.

I don't get paid anything for sending folks to a northern pharmacy either.

What I do get is glowing recommendations and referrals that pay far more than any $2/script drug plan.

That works well for me. YMMV.

When you use the Part D (or any insurance plan), the pharmacy charges you the contracted rate.

So if the contracted rate for Humulin is $158 under Part D, $158 is going towards the donut hole.

If the Good RX rate at Walmart is $20, you pay the $20. But it can't go through the Part D plan.

(BTW...for anyone who reads this later. Humulin and Novolin ARE $20 at any Walmart, with or without Good RX. These 2 meds should never be ran through a Part D)

If I've learned anything it's to never say never :)

Back