Using Trial Right to Escape Plan F

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
If someone has an older Mutual of Omaha (United World, United of Omaha) plan and the rates are sky high, can they use the trial right to leave the old high premium plan and go back to the current iteration (say OIC) and get a lower rate?

Say they have United World plan F for $240 but that same F plan is $160 with OIC. Can they trial right themselves into OIC without underwriting since the old plan (old carrier) is no longer written as new business?

If someone has an older Mutual of Omaha (United World, United of Omaha) plan and the rates are sky high, can they use the trial right to leave the old high premium plan and go back to the current iteration (say OIC) and get a lower rate? Say they have United World plan F for $240 but that same F plan is $160 with OIC. Can they trial right themselves into OIC without underwriting since the old plan (old carrier) is no longer written as new business?

Some companies will do it that way but not MOO. They will sit them right back in their old plan at the old premium.

Not sure I'm following your line of thought. The trial right is for part C escapes not high priced medigap. Are you talking about going into a MAPD then exiting using the 12 mo. trial and get a new medigap? If so, that will depend on the company the client is exiting as Newby said. Some will re-issue the old plan since technically it is not cancelled, but sitting on "hold".

MOO's explanation for their ability to do what they do is: "We don't close a book from being able to enroll client's totally. The book is still open, we just don't accept new clients to it, but reserve the right to reissue an existing client when regulations warrant it." Not an exact quote, but what they told me.

Now the interesting part is that your client is a pre-modernized plan.

I have had clients who were on a high priced Mutual F plan and go on the MAPD and stay on it for 11 months and then disenroll and switch to whatever Mutual F plan they happen to be offering that month at the lower rate. Didn't have any issues.

Some companies will do it that way but not MOO. They will sit them right back in their old plan at the old premium.

or

I have had clients who were on a high priced Mutual F plan and go on the MAPD and stay on it for 11 months and then disenroll and switch to whatever Mutual F plan they happen to be offering that month at the lower rate. Didn't have any issues.

Am I missing something or is there dissonance?

I have done this when the plan they're leaving is no longer sold in the state, including MOO Plan N. Short trial into MAPD, then over to any Plan F they want. It's also worked to get someone out of an expensive Plan F if the carrier only services, but no longer sells, in that state (Unicare and Marquette the most recent). I've always gotten the carrier to provide a letter stating they don't offer the plan any more, which the new med supp carrier needs

That said I have not tried it when the carrier they're leaving still sells in the state but it's a modernized version.

OK, I see the confusion. My example could have been better and would have been with another cup or two of coffee.

Leave MOO plan F, go to MAPD. Want to trial right to F. Rules say they have to go back to the old carrier if the old carrier still offers that plan. Otherwise, they can go to new carrier.

When United closed out their GA block in 2013 and started over with OIC, their memo said no UOO apps would be accepted after 10/1/13. So I am guessing that would include someone that had United World (pre-2010) or UOO (June 2010 through Sept 2013).

I will run into folks from time to time on UW or UOO and paying out the nose for their plan F but can't go anywhere due to health. Figure this is a way to help them even if nothing for me but won't work if Mutual insists on putting them in the old plan.

I have this situation exactly, except in SC. Clients were paying 650/mth for their F (total couple premium). Their agent switched them to Humana RPPO which was great until she had to get her Orencia injections @dr. office. 20% each time for her.
They were on Mutual (don't know which carrier) - SC uses OIC now. They were probably UOO prior. I tried GI to Transamerica (61$/mth cheaper and full comp on GI)
I have to visit with them again and see when they were on it and which options are best.

Thoughts?

That is different from my question. Going from Mutual to TA should not be a problem unless TA wants to know if MOO will take them back.

The ground rules say a new carrier must take you only if your old carrier plan is no longer offered. No idea how many carriers take GI no questions asked which is why I framed my question to see what any of the Omaha carriers do.

That is different from my question. Going from Mutual to TA should not be a problem unless TA wants to know if MOO will take them back.

The ground rules say a new carrier must take you only if your old carrier plan is no longer offered. No idea how many carriers take GI no questions asked which is why I framed my question to see what any of the Omaha carriers do.

If MOFO has a choice, I can't see them letting someone come back into the current lower priced shell...that would defeat the purpose of their shell game.

Back