VA Insurance and Picking Up Part B Late?

TDS551

Expert
SS is telling me that he only qualifies for the Part B SEP if he continued working, and that he has to wait for the General Enrollment period and pay the late penalty?

SS is telling me that he only qualifies for the Part B SEP if he continued working, and that he has to wait for the General Enrollment period and pay the late penalty?

Pretty much. VA doesn't qualify as "creditable" when it comes to picking up Part B outside his initial election period. I'm not being facetious when I say he should write his congressional representation. They really need to change this rule.

A lot of people who are taking retirement at 66 or later are also making mistakes with not applying for Part B on time.

Yes, it seems like Medicare and Social Security should be synchronized to allow penalty free Part B enrollment through Social Security full retirement age (or a 3 months grace period after it).

Pretty much. VA doesn't qualify as "creditable" when it comes to picking up Part B outside his initial election period. I'm not being facetious when I say he should write his congressional representation. They really need to change this rule.

You got that right. Serious baloney. Marine combat veteran.

Thanks everyone.

Doesn't understand part B enrollment windows or penalty, doesn't know VA is creditable coverage. Please tell me you're a consumer not advising a customer/client.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Doesn't understand part B enrollment windows or penalty, doesn't know VA is creditable coverage. Please tell me you're a consumer not advising a customer/client. Happy Thanksgiving.
I guess you were born at a CMS facility?

I don't give advice unless I'm 100%, thus I'm in here asking the question. Make sense now?

It would be happier if my mother wasnt in ICU.

But thanks anyway ya Hammerhead.

Last edited:
Back