Veterans Benefits and Medicare?......

Jarred

Ohio
Hi, I'm coming across alot of Veterans here in Ohio. Just wondering how Veterans Benefits interacts with Medicare?

I have read the CMMS page on who pays first, but does that mean that they are completely covered? Do they need a Medigap policy? Would a Gap policy give them better coverage, or just a waste of money for them? What would be the best direction to go for these Veterans?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Jarred

Ok, makes sense.......just wondering about any other options, supps, part D stand alone....ect.

I'm not a big fan of MA's, but this might be a good option.

If they have Tri Care you don't want to put them in anything. They are covered. Retired military usually has Tri-Care.

Other veterans are just like everybody else except many of them get RX through the VA and don't want an RX plan. They CAN go to a VA medical hospital and doctors but in my area most don't. they buy supplements or Advantage Plans.

That's what im finding.....the few vets I helped to get a med supp plan, did it because the va hospital was too far away and not necessarily "the best" coverage.

A Vet's benefits are separate from their Medicare benefits. So it would depend on what benefits they are getting from VA. As stated before, Tricare members are good as-is. But I have clients would only get their Rx covered by VA. So for them, depending on their need, a MA or supp would be an option. Also, where I live, the VA hospital is over 100 miles away. A Medicare plan would give the Vet a choice as to where they wanted to go for service. Some of my clients are satisfied with VA services, other say it takes forever to get in to see someone. So, once again, do your anaysis to find out the person's situation and how you can help them (or not) with your products.

A Vet's benefits are separate from their Medicare benefits. So it would depend on what benefits they are getting from VA. As stated before, Tricare members are good as-is. But I have clients would only get their Rx covered by VA. So for them, depending on their need, a MA or supp would be an option. Also, where I live, the VA hospital is over 100 miles away. A Medicare plan would give the Vet a choice as to where they wanted to go for service. Some of my clients are satisfied with VA services, other say it takes forever to get in to see someone. So, once again, do your anaysis to find out the person's situation and how you can help them (or not) with your products.

Exactly... VA benefits can vary, find out what benefits they receive. If Tri-Care, stay away. Just signed a gentleman about two hours ago that was looking for a backup and put him in a $0 premium MA. And I've met a hand full that wont use the VA, so a supp very well could be a good fit.

Wow, thanks for all the input. I am only about 4 months new at insurance and med supps. I have been learning on the fly and found this forum a few weeks back.

Here in Ohio, my big deal breakers as far as signing people up are Veterans and Teachers. So at least I have one situation addressed.

thank you guys/gals so much for the input. I appreciate it.

I had a vet who thought he was covered for this, that, and the other, and he wound up with a bill for $17,000. now he wants the zero premium MA.

I'm a veteran and I serve quite a few vets. A lot of them like the MAPD plans that refund the part B premium. As others have said, don't mess with TRICARE. Only comes up with lifers.

A vet can go to any hospital in an emergency and VA will pay for it if it is a closer hosp and a true emergency. Quality of VA care varies vastly by location. No real need for a med supp if they have VA and an MAPD or just the VA coverage. And no need for PDP either.

Back