Veterans and Medicare

plannerman

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
What do you do when approached by a veteran who is turning 65. The general statement I get is that they would use VA for most of their services but they tend to want options in case the disagree with the VA. We generally agree on putting an MAPD in place but some will go all out and say they only want VA for mess and take a supp. Are you aware of any negatives by putting a veteran on an MAPD, besides the usual downfalls that come with them.

I am not aware of any negatives. I'm a vet and vet benefits and I'm on MAPD. I stopped using VA a few years ago. My copays on MAPD are cheaper than VA copays for the same drugs. Also 2 of my drugs at Walmart are $10 for 90 days whereas they would cost $24 through VA.

I have had vets purchase just a sup and use VA for drugs.

Last edited:
What do you do when approached by a veteran who is turning 65. The general statement I get is that they would use VA for most of their services but they tend to want options in case the disagree with the VA. We generally agree on putting an MAPD in place but some will go all out and say they only want VA for mess and take a supp. Are you aware of any negatives by putting a veteran on an MAPD, besides the usual downfalls that come with them.

PFFS works well with VA in case they prefer using VA, but need a backup. Just don't mess with anybody covered with Tricare.

If I remember right when I was selling MAPD if a client is ex-military and has Tricare then signs up for a MAPD he will lose his Tricare benefits.
Tricare is much better because he can use it anywhere in the US compared with a MAPD which has a limited area.

VA will tell Vets---VA benefits are annual budget items--Medicare is entitlement. Congress can vote up or down or even OUT of VA benefits--but cant with Medicare

Some vet clients don't even bother with Medicare---why spend $105 a month for what they get for free?

Some vet clients like having both---if they need some procedure its free at the VA, but they have to go ONLY to VA med center and there is a wait. With their "normal" doc they can get it done next day--with the MAPD co-pay

Some MA plans, coventry in my area, have an MA plan just for vets---it has no Part D as the vets get Rx via the VA--and they sink the Part D money into better benefits

Its not an easy answer. But help them decide and make yourself more valuable to them

A lot depends on circumstances. The closest VA hospital is about 50 miles from me. The service that I got from them about 10 years ago sucked. (It wasn't thr doctors, it was the clerical people who don't give a damn about the patient.). I still use the satalite Va med offices for some things. They are terrific to work with. The main problem t is that they won't dispense certain drugs. My cardiologist prescribed Pradaxa for irregular heart beat. $89/ with plan D each month. VA won't supply it. What they want to give me requires monthly blood work along with specific food diet restrictions. This year I had several eye surgeries with extensive follow ups. (Like every other day) My MAPD bill was about $5000. Plan G & D if the Medes don't knock me out, would have been about $300/Mo.
A few weeks ago, I got a letter from the VA saying that I can use a local facility if the VA facility is over 40 miles away.
The VA is great if you need things like glasses, hearing aids or other durable equipment. I get my glasses from them.
(Now if they would only dispense insurance leads .........)

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, then I turned myself around

Back