What is the Best Way to Get Referrals?

Treat your clients with respect, honesty, and be there when they need service. Stay in touch. Answer your phone.

Do that and you'll get them without asking.

G Gordon is right -- do a professional job for them, and others will automatically come your way. But, I think you are also wanting to be more pro-active with the process.

How about something like:

Mary, I feed my family by helping people in the community just like I helped you.

We saved you $40 a month on your Medicare Supplement insurance and added an extra benefit -- we were able to add an extra $2,000 to your Burial insurance to cover inflation -- plus, there's still some left over for groceries.

There's a good chance I can help some of the people you know too, just like I helped you. Mary, would you mind referring me to 3 or 4 people you know? They'll get the same professional advice and service you got -- and they'll be very thankful to both of us if they can get the kind of savings you got.

Who can you think of that's getting Medicare who could benefit -- family, friend, folks from church?

Have your paper and pen out, and write the contact info down.

Others may have a much better way of asking than this. Hopefully, they'll share how they do it.

You can take this a step further if you want to, and ask if they mind calling the referral to introduce you while you're still there. With a few possible exceptions, almost everyone will do that for you.

Hope this helps. Good selling!

atlantainsguy

I agree with what healthagent said...Provide superior service. Try talking to seniors about more than insurance sometimes. I often call my clients just to see how things are going. I keep notes in my system. For example, if I know they have a grandchild in college, I will ask how they are doing. This can go a long ways with seniors.

What is the best way to get referrals?

What is the most effective way to ask for a referral?

CPS and a Clear Daily Work Model will position you to get all the referrals you can work...

GETTING REFERRALS....................................

There is no easier sell than a referral!!!!!! You just have to ask for them

If you dont ask for referrals every time, consistently you are missing the boat. They will never be more receptive than when they just trusted you with their life and handed you a check, credit card or account information!

It all starts with providing superior upfront service and on going contact with your client.

Everyone has either seen the sales presentation DVD showing how to get referrals, has seen it during training or hopefully has their own successful way to get referrals at the table every time. If you have had a good GA!

REMEMBER THE RULE: 20% of clients will always give referrals, 20% will never give referrals and 60% will give them WHEN THEY ARE ASKED!!!

NOTE: This rule is different when it comes to wrapping a presentation/application with burial assistance/life insurance and critical illness...80% will always take it if it is presented and explained as part of the plan, 20% may take it IF YOU TRY TO ADD IT ON AS AN "ADD ON" and 20% will always say no! Always add it and present it as part of the plan.

Here is the 3-question technique for getting referrals at the table:

Me: Hey (client) if my boss calls tomorrow and asks how I did, would you tell him it looks like a good plan and will save you money?

Client: Yes

Me: If your employees or friends asked would you answer the same way?

Me: Now the tuff question - if either of your parents asked how our meeting went would you also say we did a good job takin care of you?

SLIDE THE REFERRAL SHEET OVER TO THEM NOW!!!!!! Turn it over and scribble on it with a pen so they SEE THAT IT RIGHTS!!!

Me: Hey (client) since you have said that you would tell most of the people you know and care about that I gave you a good plan and took care of you, I would like to have your permission to contact them and provide them a FREE LOOK at their plans. There may be some holes in their coverage they dont know about and I may be able to provide them a more affordable plan. Would you take a moment and complete the sheet!

NOTE: This must be memorized...so sharp, smooth and eye to eye contact.

STOP TALKING!!! Start reviewing the applications again and putting your stuff away slowly. When they are done collect the sheet, say your good byes and going out the door ask them if they could call each one tomorrow and just let them know you will call and introduce yourself the following day.

Getting referrals at the table, the follow up letter, wrapping additional-logical benefits as part of their presentation and completing the annuity bonus form will increase your sales every week with little effort! The annuity bonus form was designed to offer you an opportunity to make a 50% bonus on the commission for any referral that results in a sale. Extra money with NO EFFORT.

What is the best way to get referrals?

This is not just a plug. It's a system I have been using personally and the response from everyone who is on the receiving end is always great.

While I'd have to agree the probably the most effective way to get referrals is right after your client has written you a check, the best way I've found is simply by plugging them in to a proven referral generating system that is fully automated for every single one of your clients.

I heard stories of very successful insurance agents having developed an automated referral system, and did more research

"Have you ever heard of Joe Girard? Joe was a car salesperson who worked at a Chevrolet dealership in Detroit, Michigan. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Joe sold more retail automobiles for 12 consecutive years on a one-on-one basis, than anyone else in the world. All of Joe’s business came from referrals. What was Joe’s secret?
Joe developed a system of staying in contact with his customers and potential clients. Every phone call or personal contact he made, Joe would write down on a file card any relevant information. He then sent everybody on his list a unique greeting card every single month! These weren't high pressure sales letters, just friendly reminders to let people know that he was thinking about them.
In fact, Joe sent out nearly 16,000 hand written greeting cards per month to his customers, with the help of two assistants, celebrating anything from Halloween to Groundhog Day. Imagine that...16,000 greeting cards a month.
Do you think that Joe would spend that much money, time, and effort on sending handwritten, heartfelt greeting cards if he didn't absolutely know that they worked? Of Course NOT !
Joe's S-Y-S-T-E-M was so successful his sales were audited! Joe's amazing results from sending appreciation via greeting cards are truly mind boggling. During his fifteen year selling career, he sold 13,001 new cars and trucks, all at retail - no fleet, wholesale or used vehicles*.
* Audited by the accounting firm of Deloitte & Touche
That's nearly 4 cars sold PER DAY .... each and every day for 12 years consecutive ...
Think about that again for a moment... then, Joe's secret was sending out cards! "

Now, you're asking "Is this a shameless plug?" Absolutely. This program works, works for me and my agents, and works in every field in which it has been tried. Are people paid referrals for sharing this referral system? Absolutely.

It takes less than 5 minutes each to put your new insurance client in your automated referral marketing program. You can drip on them every other month for two years for only $12 total! You'll never forget their birthday or policy anniversary - it's all automated!

I was granted access to the specific campaign of referral cards geared toward insurance agents, and can share it with anyone interested in it, too.

• Client Nurturing
  • Prospecting
  • Lead Warming / X-Date Follow Up
  • Automated Campaigns
  • Cross Selling Campaigns (Medicare/Final Expense, etc.)
  • Testimonial Request Letters
  • Thank You / Appreciation to New & Renewal Clients
  • Referral Marketing / Referral Contests
If you want to see a demo of how this works, let me know and I can walk you through it. You can send yourself a card for free and see the quality of what our clients receive..

Here's a P&C agent walking through setting up a client for automated follow-ups:

There is no better "system". Sure, you could send out cards and letters personally yourself, but you'd pay more. The automated system I'm talking about costs about $1 per card. If you look at the greeting card store, you'll find cards from $2.50 - $5.00.
  • The cards with this system can be in your own handwriting, but still you don't have to write every card
  • The cards have your own real signature.. sign once and the rest is automatic
  • You can include your picture on the cards (logo, smiling face, etc.) to really personalize them..
If you want a walk through of it, let me know.

The company has been around for years and you might have taken a look at it years ago. It now has 16,000 cards to choose from or you can simply use the ones designed just for insurance agent referrals (I can get you those). You can import your entire database or selected clients automatically and plug them into your follow-up system! I can show you how to make this work with ACT, Outlook, etc. etc.

A very successful agent once told me, "The Fortune's in the Follow Up".

There is an audio CD and workbook on this referral system for insurance agents that I can send you, too, FREE when you join the program...here's the description of that program:

BDAY.gif

(This Birthday Card Referral Marketing System program is FREE for insurance agents that sign up through me..)

My son just started high school this past week, using the PicturePlus feature in the card system, I sent him this(below).

I found an old picture of him as a baby and added the thought bubble and background (that eliminated my messy office from the photo).. Of course I sent this as a postcard from within the system, so that EVERYBODY can see the baby picture!

This system is awesome...
CJCard.jpg

CW

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of my seniors are not computer literate. And some that are prefer not to get a lot of emails.

Joe G also sold a high ticket item....i guarantee you he made more than $16/month over 5 years annualized than you selling med supps. So a phone call is fine.

And when those M&N's come out, you will be making $5-8/mo.

LOL..herding goats will pay more.

Back