What Do I Start with First?

Keep it simple, start as self employed. As self employed you will be able to use your present checking account and your taxes will be simpler. Connect with an FMO for your contracts and advice. Don't invest in suits or even expensive clothes as some people will be turned off to it and you will feel out of place when you visit a client dressed in pj's. A laptop or Ipad is not necessary for appointments but you should have a home computer to do Rx lookups and communicate with your FMO. You can buy a standard fax machine and connect it to your land line phone to fax apps or use an internet fax service and scanner. Keep it simple and invest your money in leads, travel expenses and yourself. With time you will figure it out.

sman I explained why I have a chip on my shoulder with Med Supp only agents. I have been given much grief with their ignorance in handling MA beneficiaries and trying to fix their mistake. I agree already that MA bashing as of the past 2 years is justified, but I remember back 6 years ago and I was in this industry before AHIP was back when MA plans were sold 24/7/365 and I vividly remember the lies Med Supp only agents said to seniors which I had to spend a lot of time with to re-explain how they properly work and why some agents bad mouth them. Seniors understood why some agents did this especially when I started to go over the rules and regulations that govern selling MA plans and they appreciated agents who sold both products even more when I was done. Many many hours of my life have been spent educating people that MA plans used to be great plans. As I said now things are changing.

----------

Thank you bearbob. I think a scanner would make most sense for me as I can also scan all documents and store them in my harddrive as well. I plan on being a smaller volume agent to start and want to take things slow so a scanner should work just fine. From what I gather sending faxes via the internet is no problem, the problem comes from if you want to receive faxes which I guess very rarely happens anyway. Do any of you guys use an agent management software program for callbacks, follow ups and commission payments? The agency I used to work at used a program called GBS but had a monthly fee for it and seems only necessary for high volume business.

Last edited:
lol @ Thad. Yeah I have 2 months left to get everything going before my steady stream of income stops so I guess I am over thinking some things. I just know how bad the government can come down on you if you mess up. Working this industry makes me paranoid due to all the damn regulations. I keep telling my friends the financial industry is #1 but damn this healthcare industry is definitely the 2nd most regulated industry. I don't want my licensed suspended over a rookie mistake that I should know better from. Why I spent so long at my last job. Last question guys. What receipts do I save for business deductions? Any expense business related correct? Also just document the miles driven for appointments and trips to pick up supplies correct? Do I need to get and save gas receipts?

Last edited:
Last question guys.
1.What receipts do I save for business deductions?
2.Any expense business related correct?
3. Also just document the miles driven for appointments and trips to pick up supplies correct?
4. Do I need to get and save gas receipts?

Maybe you should learn how to count before going independent...

That can all be answered in one or two sentences for an answer. Yes technically more than one but all related to each other. Basically the question should be: What documentation does the tax man need? Without any follow up questions needed on my part.

Back