What Do I Start with First?

Off topic cool story about me that is relevant today. I trained a guy how to cold call telemarket about 12 years ago and he got me into this industry about 10 years ago. His name is Scott Avery a cousin of Steven Avery. Scott didn't really know Steven he thinks he may have met him once or twice during family reunions. Scott didn't follow the trail very close and was ashamed to have the last name Avery knowing he is related after the second guilty verdict. I later became a libertarian (classical liberal) and found Scott to be a very Statist orientated media believing Conservative so we started to clash on the proper role of government and what freedom is. I also became economically educated in 2009 and bought a lot of gold understanding the value of fiat currency. I stopped talking to Scott because he was very pro State, only thought his way was the only correct way to do things, and was employee minded whereas I am a free thinking entrepreneur so we just fell away from each other. Then a couple months later Netflix did their How to Make a Murderer documentary featuring the legal injustices done upon Steven. I still won't call Scott but I am curious to see if he has rethought his pro State position at all. One day I will, but I need time away from him while I start my business and am spending more time with my entrepreneur minded friends to get in the right mindset for what I am about to do. Sometimes this world is a very small place.

Last edited:
Off topic cool story about me that is relevant today. I trained a guy how to cold call telemarket about 12 years ago and he got me into this industry about 10 years ago. His name is Scott Avery a cousin of Steven Avery. Scott didn't really know Steven he thinks he may have met him once or twice during family reunions. Scott didn't follow the trail very close and was ashamed to have the last name Avery knowing he is related after the second guilty verdict. I later became a libertarian (classical liberal) and found Scott to be a very Statist orientated media believing Conservative so we started to clash on the proper role of government and what freedom is. I also became economically educated in 2009 and bought a lot of gold understanding the value of fiat currency. I stopped talking to Scott because he was very pro State, only thought his way was the only correct way to do things, and was employee minded whereas I am a free thinking entrepreneur so we just fell away from each other. Then a couple months later Netflix did their How to Make a Murderer documentary featuring the legal injustices done upon Steven. I still won't call Scott but I am curious to see if he has rethought his pro State position at all. One day I will, but I need time away from him while I start my business and am spending more time with my entrepreneur minded friends to get in the right mindset for what I am about to do. Sometimes this world is a very small place.

That is a cool story.

(But like Rick said, you gotta use some paragraphs, a lot of us are reading this on our smartphones on the app, and it's just a lot of text when people don't use paragraphs)

Thank you to all who gave me advice and I hope I left you with an interesting story as a reward for the info some of you gave me. It helps a lot now that I know how to start things up. I will come back on the boards in a couple months and post after I make my first sale to thank you guys once again.

PS I won't stop selling once I hit my goal of 50, I just want that to be an obtainable goal for myself without stressing out over little things. I am in a largely poor market and have fierce competition as well so it's not like I'm an agent that lives in Florida and just has to have a line form and take orders all day. lol

Last edited:
Thank you to all who gave me advise and I hope I left you with an interesting story as a reward for the info some of you gave me. It helps a lot now that I know how to start things up. I will come back on the boards in a couple months and post after I make my first sale to thank you guys once again.

PS I won't stop selling once I hit my goal of 50, I just want that to be an obtainable goal for myself without stressing out over little things. I am in a largely poor market and have fierce competition as well so it's not like I'm an agent that lives in Florida and just has to have a line form and take orders all day. lol

You don't have to just sell in "your" market... You can get non res license & call for supps anywhere. Pretty tough to sell MAPDs by phone though... I wouldn't try it.

Yes TDF you cannot sell MA plans over the phone. I am well aware of this. You can however market your services to anyone and get the Scope form signed and return 48 hours later. You can technically make a cold call appointment and at the end walk away with a MA application, but it must start with Supplements and the Scope must be initialed and signed by the client to make that MA sale. The way the market is now, Supplements are taking the front seat because of MA funding turmoil and political BS. This is why I want to start selling the traditional way, it is easier to do what is ethical for your client IMO as I will be licensed for all Medicare product types. Love your avatar BTW. The episode with Samuel L Jackson in his Pulp Fiction character was epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILLZqymJRZI

----------

Oh crap I got a good question. I need a landline phone to make cold calls from. What are some good brands and/or models to research? I have to be able to do conference calls with the phone and prefer a nice headset model as well. I will be using Magic Jack so I don't know if that is a factor or not, I'm guessing not. Magic Jack is much cheaper than paying for a landline. I haven't owned a landline phone in about the past 15 years.

Last edited:
Hilarious thread! :D

Well I read a few dozen paragraphs and noticed some helpful posts, You're all set Residentzombie, But remember less is more :twitchy:

Yes TDF you cannot sell MA plans over the phone. I am well aware of this. You can however market your services to anyone and get the Scope form signed and return 48 hours later. You can technically make a cold call appointment and at the end walk away with a MA application, but it must start with Supplements and the Scope must be initialed and signed by the client to make that MA sale.

You might want to re-think this.

You cannot cold call for MA plans and/or sell them over the phone unless the client calls you first. You can cold call for an appointment and discuss Med Supps all day long no worries. If the client wishes to discuss MA plans with you during your Med Supp visit you must get them to sign, date, and initial the Scope of Appointment form and wait 48 hours for a cool off period. Then you can return 2 days later and complete the MA application. What did I say here that is incorrect?

The lead originated from a cold call, but all Medicare protocol was followed and at the end you walk away with the MA application two days after your Med Supp presentation.

Last edited:
You are apparently well aware of very little. You can completely incorrect.

I'm so glad you found an upline to help you. You clearly are harmful to potential clients right now.

Rick

Just to be clear, I never said you couldn't, he did... I said it's tough & I wouldn't do it. Just making sure no one thought I said that.

----------

You cannot cold call for MA plans and sell them over the phone unless the client calls you first. You can cold call for an appointment and discuss Med Supps all day long no worries. If the client wishes to discuss MA plans with you during your Med Supp visit you must get them to sign, date, and initial the Scope of Appointment form and wait 48 hours for a cool off period. Then you can return 2 days later and complete the MA application. What about what I said here is incorrect?

You didn't include the words "cold call" before, BIG DIFFERENCE! You CAN sell over the phone, you CANT cold call.

Back