What Do I Start with First?

If you are discussing med supp and they ask about a MA you have them sign scope and discuss. The 48 hours is if you are discussing MA you can not bring up life insurance or other non related products.

Ah yes if the client calls you, you can sell MA over the phone. I was speaking about cold call marketing. The problem with that is the 3 days that CMS wants that application from the signature date. If you mail out an application you have to ask the client not to date it and explain that Medicare wants that application in their hands 3 days after the signature date and mailing applications and having it pass through the carrier first and last to CMS won't allow enough time.

----------

Oh thank you rugerred. I did not know that. That is awesome. Thanks.

Ah yes if the client calls you, you can sell MA over the phone. I was speaking about cold call marketing. The problem with that is the 3 days that CMS wants that application from the signature date. If you mail out an application you have to ask the client not to date it and explain that Medicare wants that application in their hands 3 days after the signature date and mailing applications and having pass through the carrier first and last to CMS won't allow enough time.

----------

Oh thank you rugerred. I did not know that. That is awesome. Thanks.

THATS incorrect again, if I understand u correctly... If you mail an app, you no longer need a SOA. SOAs are only for F2F meetings, so they can date the app the exact day they actually sign it, for MAPDs & PDPs... Supps obviously don't need a SOA.

THATS incorrect again, if I understand u correctly... If you mail an app, you no longer need a SOA. SOAs are only for F2F meetings, so they can date the app the exact day they actually sign it, for MAPDs & PDPs... Supps obviously don't need a SOA.

Well this past year we were hearing from some carriers stating you need a SOA whether it's F2F or a mailed application. In years past I never got a Scope on applications that were mailed.

As for the beneficiary dating the application, if the company allows mailing the application (Humana doesn't allow this method for the agent - at least according to the local Market Manager), then the client can date it when they sign it and the agent then dates it the day he/she receives it. Take for example, the Aetna/Coventry applications (here in Georgia), they have a line that asks the date the application is received by the agent. I have done this for years with the date signed by the beneficiary being different than the date I sign it and have never had an issue. But obviously some people know more than me and I must have been doing it incorrectly for many years. Who knew (sarcasm emoji)?

TDF, CMS wants all MA applications in their hands no later than 3 business days after the client signs the application. This is a big problem if you sell MA over the phone because you are most likely mailing them an application out to sign and mail back to you. The Post Office usually takes 3 days to deliver a package so by the time the dated MA application arrives to you CMS wants it in their hands the same day and the carrier first has to receive and process the app before they transmit the info to CMS. So what you have do is explain to the client NOT to date the application and explain why and when the application comes back to you in the mail you date it right away with that date and fax it to carrier or ask them to date the application 3 days in advance and explain why. It seems like your doing shady stuff, but if you don't the carrier will rip your head off for submitting applications too late.

----------

Scope is always needed for any MA and/or PDP sit. You only submit Scope if you sold a PDP or MA/MAPD plan. Scope is never needed for Supplement only sits/sales because Supps are regulated by the State and MA/MAPD and PDP plans are governed by CMS (Feds). If a client calls you for a MA/MAPD or PDP sale and you sell over the phone you never need a Scope form. I'm not sure if a client calls you and you go for sit if Scope is still needed.

Ok, I admit this will be a bit long because there is a lot to address here.

First off, experience is your best guide. You can ask for advice but at the end of the day, you need to get your head kicked in a few times. Trial and error is your friend. Maintain your ethics and compliance but let the butt-whooping happen, you will be a better agent for it.
Next, clothes do not make the agent. I write a lot of business both Med Supp and MAPD and I haven't worn a tie in years.
A fax machine with scanning ability is a necessity. You should not be mailing in MAPD apps. You should be receiving them and then faxing them out asap so as to not get a compliance pinch for holding an app.
An office is nice but not a necessity. Most of your appointments will be in the clients home so an office is not a necessity. I have been an agent for 23 years and have worked out of my home office the entire time.
I guess my best piece of advice would be just jump in and do it. Try to keep as much money as possible in your pocket but jump in the pool and swim.

TDF, CMS wants all MA applications in their hands no later than 3 business days after the client signs the application. This is a big problem if you sell MA over the phone because you are most likely mailing them an application out to sign and mail back to you. The Post Office usually takes 3 days to deliver a package so by the time the dated MA application arrives to you CMS wants it in their hands the same day and the carrier first has to receive and process the app before they transmit the info to CMS. So what you have do is explain to the client NOT to date the application and explain why and when the application comes back to you in the mail you date it right away with that date and fax it to carrier or ask them to date the application 3 days in advance and explain why. It seems like your doing shady stuff, but if you don't the carrier will rip your head off for submitting applications too late.
CMS wants MAPD/PD Applications in 7 days from signature date is what I have heard from the plans since 2008 or longer. The plan sponsors I represent want/ require 24 or 48 hrs from the time application was signed.

----------

Scope is always needed for any MA and/or PDP sit. You only submit Scope if you sold a PDP or MA/MAPD plan. Scope is never needed for Supplement only sits/sales because Supps are regulated by the State and MA/MAPD and PDP plans are governed by CMS (Feds). If a client calls you for a MA/MAPD or PDP sale and you sell over the phone you never need a Scope form. I'm not sure if a client calls you and you go for sit if Scope is still needed.[/Q

Get a SOA signed ever time. ( Shaking head)

Thanks RWK. I plan on only writing 50 to 60 applications my first year so I will hold off for now on a fax machine, but absolutely need a top of the line scanner to scan every page for documentation. I agree jumping in the fire is the way to go, I always have you guys and my FMO to get help from on a case if needed (will be more of my FMO). I have 2 months of steady income coming to me yet so I am trying to get all the preliminary stuff I need to do done and so I can start calling and selling as soon as my income stops. What are some good phones brands for cold call telemarketing with? I haven't bought a landline phone in almost 15 years.

----------

I could be very wrong on 3 days and it may be 7 days. I never submitted applications, my office manager did all of that and knew all that stuff like the back of his hand. Regardless having the client date the application and mailing it back with prepaid postage to a PO Box takes awhile and we would get angry calls from UHC application managers all the time about submitting applications sooner. The carrier wants them from you right away and when everything takes 5 days to process in the mail that can be challenging.

Thanks RWK. I plan on only writing 50 to 60 applications my first year so I will hold off for now on a fax machine, but absolutely need a top of the line scanner to scan every page for documentation. I agree jumping in the fire is the way to go, I always have you guys and my FMO to get help from on a case if needed (will be more of my FMO). I have 2 months of steady income coming to me yet so I am trying to get all the preliminary stuff I need to do done and so I can start calling and selling as soon as my income stops. What are some good phones brands for cold call telemarketing with? I haven't bought a landline phone in almost 15 years.

----------

I could be very wrong on 3 days and it may be 7 days. I never submitted applications, my office manager did all of that and knew all that stuff like the back of his hand. Regardless having the client date the application and mailing it back with prepaid postage to a PO Box takes awhile and we would get angry calls from UHC application managers all the time about submitting applications sooner. The carrier wants them from you right away and when everything takes 5 days to process in the mail that can be challenging.

My HP6600 does Fax/Scan/Print and it is less than $200. One of the best investments you will ever make.

Well this past year we were hearing from some carriers stating you need a SOA whether it's F2F or a mailed application. In years past I never got a Scope on applications that were mailed.

As for the beneficiary dating the application, if the company allows mailing the application (Humana doesn't allow this method for the agent - at least according to the local Market Manager), then the client can date it when they sign it and the agent then dates it the day he/she receives it. Take for example, the Aetna/Coventry applications (here in Georgia), they have a line that asks the date the application is received by the agent. I have done this for years with the date signed by the beneficiary being different than the date I sign it and have never had an issue. But obviously some people know more than me and I must have been doing it incorrectly for many years. Who knew (sarcasm emoji)?

I haven't heard that with any of my carriers... Then again, the only non supp app I've done thru the mail are PDP apps for UHC, and I've have no problems with when they were dated & when I sent them in, and no SOA.

Back