What is the Easiest Way to Solve this Situation

kstein

Guru
1000 Post Club
Client is working fulltime and turns 65 Oct 9 2017. He is working until 10/5 and then quitting. He will be able to stay on the group insurance until 10/31 at the fulltime rates. What is the simplest way to enroll into Medicare Part B effective 11/1 if I am meeting with him prior to 10/1 (aka today).

I went to the SS site with him and requested his Medicare Part B to be effective 11/1 in the remarks section. He didn't want to make a big deal of the $134 so going to the office or sitting on the phone didn't interest him.

Follow up question: Client is 67 and didn't take Medicare A or B at 65. Now they are using SEP LEGHP to buy Medicare + Supplement 10/1. What is the easiest way to enroll into Part A and then filling out the 2 SS documents for Part B, which have to be returned to the SS office for processing.

I have done this a few times and it seems to work out. May be an easier way.

He can sign up online for A only now if he wants.

Complete paper forms and submit to SS office early in October. SS SHOULD approve his B for Nov 1. If he wants Medicare to be effective Oct 1 submit early Sept.

Did you update in the follow up question or is this a 2nd client?

(I have a SS office in my town.)

Re-67. If it was me, I would apply for Part A online, get the employer insurance verification form(s) completed by the relevant employer(s) [That is EVERY employer who provided coverage since you turned 65], and take the forms to the social security office. (Basically what I did, except I took part A at 65)

I just sat in the waiting room, there is some kind of procedure to make an appointment-can't remember if you use phone or on-line approach-That might shorten your client's wait time.

Also, if you have not been to a social security office recently-be prepared There is an airport style security checkin with emptying pockets and going through a metal detector. The clerks are behind thick glass panels in recessed alcoves. At least at my office, there are no vending machines. It was all very surprising to me because I have lived somewhat insulated from the apparent dangers our government employees apparently face in the current environment.

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-ch...part-b/should-i-get-part-b.html#collapse-3156

Also don't forget Part D timelines, I think there is only a 63 day timeframe to get that after ending other creditable coverage.

Last edited:
I have done this a few times and it seems to work out. May be an easier way.

He can sign up online for A only now if he wants.

Complete paper forms and submit to SS office early in October. SS SHOULD approve his B for Nov 1. If he wants Medicare to be effective Oct 1 submit early Sept.

Did you update in the follow up question or is this a 2nd client?

The 2nd questions is a different situation/person not a follow up to the first person. My goal is to be able to do everything in one sitting with clients so I'd prefer to not have them go to SS or have to get documents filled out after the fact or anything like that. You'd think you could get some deviation from the norm on the Medicare app via ssa.gov but who knows.

No other easier way I know of than online for A, paper forms L546 and 40B delivered to SSA for B. I recommend my clients drop off the forms rather than mail them and make copies first. No need to wait for a clerk if forms are completed correctly (employers sometimes get question 2 wrong if the company changed carriers since employee turned 65 by entering date coverage started with current carrier rather than when hired).

Back