What Was Life Like Before Part D? (2006)

thomasm

Guru
1000 Post Club
Nebraska
Anyone care to give a bit of a history lesson on what what life was like for seniors before part D came about? (2006)

I wasn't in the business back then. I remember hearing stories about seniors having to go to Canada to get affordable drugs but that's about it.

Was it worth the expense (deficit) to get it implemented?

Are seniors really better off?

The business was a lot simpler before Part D and Medicare Advantage plans and you didn't have all the CMS crap.

I helped many seniors using the patient assistance programs and/or Canadian pharmacies. I remember getting my clients many of their medication at zero cost and even now using Canada is a money saver for many.

On an individual basis it may not have been as easy for someone to fill a script but medication cost a whole lot less back then. Part D has increased the cost of medication terribly.

While beneficiaries love the program (generally), it's another unfunded liability placing a burden on the taxpayers. The bottom line is when you include the cost of the benefit, Part-D does not work. But most people only look at the one side.

Lastly, although not called Medicare Advantage, Medicare Choice Plus plans did generally include Rx coverage. Some were unlimited; some were $2,000. But with the lower cost of medication and doctors being aware of using generic instead of defaulting to brand name, most seniors with this plans did fine.

Rick

Last edited:
I helped many seniors using the patient assistance programs and/or Canadian pharmacies. I remember getting my clients many of their medication at zero cost and even now using Canada is a money saver for many.

On an individual basis it may not have been as easy for someone to fill a script but medication cost a whole lot less back then. Part D has increased the cost of medication terribly.

While beneficiaries love the program (generally), it's another unfunded liability placing a burden on the taxpayers. The bottom line is when you include the cost of the benefit, Part-D does not work. But most people only look at the one side.

Lastly, although not called Medicare Advantage, Medicare Choice Plus plans did generally include Rx coverage. Some were unlimited; some were $2,000. But with the lower cost of medication and doctors being aware of using generic instead of defaulting to brand name, most seniors with this plans did fine.

Good insight. Perhaps you should offer a training class on this. Might be beneficial.

PAP's still exist but it is a bit more difficult to qualify than before. I have clients that still use BlueSky based on your recommendation to me several years ago. We also use it for some of our personal medications and have saved a lot of $$$.

Anyone care to give a bit of a history lesson on what what life was like for seniors before part D came about? (2006)

I wasn't in the business back then. I remember hearing stories about seniors having to go to Canada to get affordable drugs but that's about it.

Was it worth the expense (deficit) to get it implemented?

Are seniors really better off?

Before part D all the drugs all my med supp clients where taking where non formulary and all my clients where in a perpetual donut hole from day one but the funny thing is they didn't complain about their drug coverage as much as they do now .

Seriously though it was a great time to sell med supps because I could safely cold call for med supps, do some crazy cross selling and I had so much extra time available to sell even more med supps .I feel that the time and headache involved in marketing and serviceing the part D component of medicare Health plan market is like an admission charge I have to pay to have complete and compliant acess to the senior market

Back in the late 90's early 2000's I was running Med supp leads. I can't tell you how many times I couldn't sell a supp due to their monthly drug cost of $500 to $800!! Believe me when I tell you I know what cat food looks like. Those folks faced very difficult choices. Pres. Bush knew this thats why he signed it into law.

I would just like to say this, prior to part D there was NO such thing as a $4.00 generic prescription!

----------

I sold a boat load of Med Supps with embedded Rx coverage.

What was the last year you were able to sell one of those....1990??

Last edited:
back in the late 90's early 2000's i was running med supp leads. I can't tell you how many times i couldn't sell a supp due to their monthly drug cost of $500 to $800!! Believe me when i tell you i know what cat food looks like. Those folks faced very difficult choices. Pres. Bush knew this thats why he signed it into law.

I would just like to say this, prior to part d there was no such thing as a $4.00 generic prescription!

----------

what was the last year you were able to sell one of those....1990??
2005........................................maybe 2003? Boy my memory is getting bad...

Back