What Are The Options for Dear Auntie?

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
Here's the situation:

92 year old Female, moved from California to Atlanta last August. She has Dementia, and falls alot. Signed up for a Kaiser Permanente MAPD, which is accepted by NOONE. Been on that plan since August of this year.

She does have some income and savings, but will be eligible for Medicaid in the near future. Working with an Elder Care attorney and a Financial Planner on that front.

Her nephew has POA for all decisions, but he is going to be out of town for the next 10 days.

Two Questions:

1. Can I work with just the nephew, via SKYPE, in getting her signed up with another company, that will be accepted by the ALF, and NH, or does she need to be present?

2. If I can't do #1, can they write a letter to CMS, allowing them to move to another MAPD, since they will miss the deadline? They didn't know, when they moved her here from California, how limited the KP Network would be.

My guess is I can do #1 if he has full POA.

This is why I answer calls, and work the day after Thanksgiving. Easing one more family's mind.

Here's the situation:

92 year old Female, moved from California to Atlanta last August. She has Dementia, and falls alot. Signed up for a Kaiser Permanente MAPD, which is accepted by NOONE. Been on that plan since August of this year.

She does have some income and savings, but will be eligible for Medicaid in the near future. Working with an Elder Care attorney and a Financial Planner on that front.

Her nephew has POA for all decisions, but he is going to be out of town for the next 10 days.

Two Questions:

1. Can I work with just the nephew, via SKYPE, in getting her signed up with another company, that will be accepted by the ALF, and NH, or does she need to be present?

2. If I can't do #1, can they write a letter to CMS, allowing them to move to another MAPD, since they will miss the deadline? They didn't know, when they moved her here from California, how limited the KP Network would be.

My guess is I can do #1 if he has full POA.

This is why I answer calls, and work the day after Thanksgiving. Easing one more family's mind.

Medicare would say "sure, we'll sprinkle some pixie dust and extend her AEP just for her.. because she falls a lot".

But you already found that out apparently.

Back