What Part D Plan is Best for Insulin User?

candy81286

I have a client who is new to Medicare and she takes Novolog used with a pump. It is very pricey. It looks like with United Healthcare she would pay $115 for a 3 month supply... does anyone know of another carrier who is more affordable? Thanks!

I have a client who is new to Medicare and she takes Novolog used with a pump. It is very pricey. It looks like with United Healthcare she would pay $115 for a 3 month supply... does anyone know of another carrier who is more affordable? Thanks!

Aside from Medicare.gov I don't know of any other source.

However, the more important question is why you are "playing" with Part D with clearly a limited amount of experience?

Rick

I know that I can shop the drug plans through Medicare.gov and have experience with that but I always like to get any extra input! I've noticed that Medicare.gov is really just an Estimate.

The plan with the lowest total annual total cost at the clients preferred pharmacy for ALL the meds the client is currently taking per Medicare.gov is usually the best plan. To be sure double check the results at carriers(s) website. EZ PZ

Have the client call 1-800-Medicare and they will run a drug finder for her and also enroll her so the liability is off of you.

Do you have a State Pharmaceutical Assistance Program available in your state, and if so, does she qualify? Check out the benefits if one is available.

The drug cost for Novolog is pricey as well, so she'll want to be mindful of the gap if she is on other medications. Novolog alone can run her up to $2200-$2400 for the year.

As people have said on here before, run at least 4 major pharmacies through Medicare.gov to check std/preferred pricing differences. Also, compare 90-day retail vs. mail order.

Good luck!

Do you have a State Pharmaceutical Assistance Program available in your state, and if so, does she qualify? Check out the benefits if one is available.

The drug cost for Novolog is pricey as well, so she'll want to be mindful of the gap if she is on other medications. Novolog alone can run her up to $2200-$2400 for the year.

As people have said on here before, run at least 4 major pharmacies through Medicare.gov to check std/preferred pricing differences. Also, compare 90-day retail vs. mail order.

Good luck!

And you do ALL of this for each of your clients? For $25?

You are a saint - and likely broke.

Rick

It's been my experience that insulin used in a pump is covered under Part B. So her cost would be the deductible and then 20%. And if the client has a Med Supp then that would cover the 20%.

Back